This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2648 / 53°15'53"N
Longitude: -4.0951 / 4°5'42"W
OS Eastings: 260363
OS Northings: 376246
OS Grid: SH603762
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.6Y3
Mapcode Global: WH542.267H
Entry Name: Y Bwthyn
Listing Date: 31 March 1967
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84799
Location: In a row of cottages fronting the street at the S end of Wexham Street.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
One of a row of C18 Baron Hill estate cottages, although not necessarily all of the same date, shown on the 1829 town plan as part of a row that included Nos 50 and 48 Church Street. Originally vernacular in character, the cottages were remodelled later in the C19 when sash windows and dormers were added to create a regular façade of Georgian character. Additions were made at the rear in the C20, except for No 4. No 4 was The Duke of Wellington public house from at least 1828 to 1866 and has a C19 rear wing.
Belongs to a group of 2-10 Wexham Street.
Five 1½-storey cottages of painted pebble dashed walls, steep slate roof and roughcast stacks reduced in height. Each house has a central doorway, flanking windows and gabled dormer above the doorway (Nos 4 and 6 formerly had raked dormers, as shown in photographs of c1912 and 1937).
No 2 has a replacement half-glazed door and gabled canopy, and renewed 12-pane horizontal-sliding sash windows. No 4 has smooth-rendered surrounds. Its early C20 style half-glazed panel door has leaded lights, and is beneath a slate canopy on brackets. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes in the lower storey, with similar 6-pane window in the dormer. No 6 has a fielded-panel door under a gabled canopy, and renewed 4-pane horizontal sliding sash windows. No 8 is larger than 2-6. It has a modern panel door, with glazed panel, in a rendered surround with canopy on simple brackets. Windows are renewed 12-pane horizontal-sliding sashes, and 2-light small-pane casement in the dormer. No 10, the largest house in the row, has a half-glazed door with fielded panels and Gothic intersecting glazing bars, in a freestone surround with moulded cornice. Windows are 2-light casements. Attached to the L end is a rubble-stone garden wall with boarded door.
In the L gable end No 10 has a small stair light to the R of centre. At the rear, No 10 has a replacement window to the R below a skylight. To the L is a long 1-storey rear pebble-dashed wing with slate roof and C20 detail. No 4 has been raised at the rear and has a gabled 2-storey wing with monopitched projection. The rear of No 2 has also been raised and has an added 1-storey projection.
Listed as part of a row of C18 vernacular cottages with C19 estate character and detail, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Church Street and Wexham Street.
Other nearby listed buildings