This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6761 / 51°40'34"N
Longitude: -4.9185 / 4°55'6"W
OS Eastings: 198309
OS Northings: 201516
OS Grid: SM983015
Mapcode National: GBR G8.WDKV
Mapcode Global: VH1S6.P4MF
Entry Name: Henry's Gift Shop with house over
Listing Date: 14 July 1981
Last Amended: 29 July 2005
Source ID: 84951
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Next to the Lion Hotel on the S side of Main Street some 15m W of its junction with Northgate Street.
Community: Pembroke (Penfro)
Built-Up Area: Pembroke
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Terraced town house, probably early C19 altered in later C19. It was part of the Lion Hotel, with also No 3 in the C20, called the Lion Vaults, with ballroom at first floor. In 2004, it is Henry's gift shop with two-storey flat above. House is on an older site, as a C18 print is said to show a house of C17 style with two gabled dormers facing down towards the bridge, and the rear wing has heavy corbelled beams and oak collar trusses, and had a large fireplace (now infilled). The 1748 Buck view of the town shows much the largest house in this part of the town of five bays, with attic and big rear wing on approximately this site. Stucco detail of the window surrounds is similar to that on upper floor of Lion Hotel adjoining, suggesting a c. 1860-70 date. Staircase has gone but ballroom survives as sitting-room.
The property is marked as owned by H. P. Jones Esq on 1857 Orielton sale map, though not then linked with the Lion, which the estate owned. A mortgage deed, framed in the property, of 1879 appears to relate to the marriage of a Miss Amy Gwyther Phillips of 43 Princes Gardens, Hyde Park, with the Rev. Thomas H. Orpen of Pembroke College, Cambridge, and another of 1899 appears to relate to the will of William Hulm died 1886 and his daughter Frances Swan, but mentions a physician, H. T. Jones of Pembroke, possibly related to the H. P. Jones of 1857.
Terraced house with lower eaves and ridge than adjoining Westgate House and Lion Hotel. Painted roughcast with later C19 stuccoed window surrounds and sash windows. Imitation slates to roof with brick end stacks and brick dentilled eaves. Three storeys, four bays, with plate glass sashes, square on second floor, long on first floor and shorter on ground floor. All are in shouldered surrounds with quadrant inner moulding, outer hood moulding and painted slate sills. Two steps to doorway in third bay. Moulded stucco surround with keystone to C20 door and overlight. Thin flat canopy on timber brackets. Raised plinth with two basement grilles.
Rear SW wing, stuccoed with rubble stone E side, and S end slightly raised chimneybreast. Further lower two-storey wing beyond.
Ground floor altered as shop, with removal of stairs when through corridor was made from The Lion to No 3. Front room has two blocked openings on rear wall, to axial passage and blocked opening on left of E wall formerly through to The Lion. Stone flagged cellar with modern ceiling under front range. The rear NW kitchen has three heavy beams carried on large stone corbels, fireplace infilled or removed. Servants' stair behind. first floor has full-width former ballroom with two 6-panel fielded-panelled doors and panelled shutters with border strips in sunk panels. The white-and-grey veined marble earlier C19 fireplace with moulded panels to pilasters and to lintel is a recent import from a country house in N Wales, and the reeded ceiling border is also recent. Six-panel fielded panelled door at E end of passage behind, to blocked access to No 3. Staircase on rear wall is apparently C20 reusing parts from early C19 stair. Square balusters. Top floor has 4-panel doors and panelled shutters with borders to panels. First floor rear wing has rough collar trusses to older N part and C19 large E window with panelled shutters. C19 collar trusses to lower S end.
Included for its special architectural interest as a stucco front of definite quality with Victorian detail covering earlier work, prominent in the views up from the bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings