This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9242 / 52°55'27"N
Longitude: -4.1307 / 4°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 256861
OS Northings: 338440
OS Grid: SH568384
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYXM
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR7K
Entry Name: Ship on Launch
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85402
Location: In a row of terraced houses near the S end of Lombard Street.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Lombard Street, just off Cornhill where the first wharf opened in 1824, was part of the commercial centre of the port of Porthmadog. Nos 1-3 Lombard Street were built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and are shown on the 1842 Tithe map, 1871 Tremadog estate survey and 1888 Ordnance Survey. No 3 was the Ship on Launch public house by 1844, where information on the launching of new ships was posted.
Belongs to a group of 1-3 Lombard Street.
A terrace of three 3-storey 2-window houses roofed under a single range with slate roof, and stone stacks except for a pebble-dashed stack to the R end (No 3). In each house the openings are offset to the L side. No 1 is whitened scribed roughcast, in the same range as 21 Cornhill, has a half-glazed door to the L, replacement shop window to its R, and 4-pane sash windows in middle and upper storeys. No 2 has a pebble-dashed front, replacement half-glazed door to the L, and 2-pane sash windows. No 3 is of large blocks of local stone laid in regular courses (exposed by removal of render). It has a replacement half-glazed door to the L, and 2-pane sash windows. The R gable end is pebble-dashed.
At the rear, No 1 is of large blocks of local slate-stone laid in regular courses, retains a 4-pane sash window in the middle storey but otherwise has replaced openings. Nos 2 and 3 are rendered with replacement windows and No 3 has a 2-storey lean-to on the rear.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a former public house in a row of houses which forms a prominent building retaining definite C19 character in the commercial centre of the port, and for its overall contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour. No 3 is the only one of the group to retain the original exposed stonework.
Other nearby listed buildings