This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8004 / 51°48'1"N
Longitude: -4.9698 / 4°58'11"W
OS Eastings: 195328
OS Northings: 215474
OS Grid: SM953154
Mapcode National: GBR CK.XRYK
Mapcode Global: VH1RL.T01N
Entry Name: Cleeve House including area railings
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87062
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row between lower No 9 and projecting warehouse opposite Foley House.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Terraced house, probably later C18 with bay window added in early C19, similar to that on No 9. Owned by J.W. Hammond, mayor of the town five times, in late C19. Occupied in 1901 by Mrs Rowe and in 1926 by Francis Richards.
Terraced house, unpainted stucco with slate close-eaved roof and brick end stacks with moulded caps. Three storeys, two bays, offset to left with hornless 9-pane sash windows to top floor, 12-pane window to first floor left, over doorway and two storey large flat-topped canted bay to right. Bay has 8-16-8-pane sash windows each floor divided by thin panelled pilasters with roundels at the tops, upper floor has moulded cornice. Doorway up two cemented sandstone steps has fine timber doorcase of Ionic half-columns with entablature blocks over carrying modillion cornice. Flush-panelled reveals to recessed door with traceried overlight, to a pattern of two curved-sided diamonds. Panelled door with top two panels cut away and glazed, the centre panels fielded and the bottom two flush in reeded border. Slate-topped winding steps to basement door to right of entrance.
Some slate-hanging on left end gable.
Contemporary wrought iron spearhead railings, a short run coming forward to urn stanchion to left of doorway, longer run to right with urn stanchion at corner, and matching gate to area in short return.
Interior not inspected.
Included for its special interest as Georgian town house with original exterior including fine doorcase, bay window and railings.
Other nearby listed buildings