This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8016 / 51°48'5"N
Longitude: -4.97 / 4°58'11"W
OS Eastings: 195322
OS Northings: 215612
OS Grid: SM953156
Mapcode National: GBR CK.XRX1
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.SZY8
Entry Name: ,26,High Street,,Haverfordwest,,SA61 2DA
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87092
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the N side of the High Street some 50m E of its junction with Dark Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Early to mid C19 terraced commercial building with late Regency detail of Soaneian type. In 1974 there was a modern shop front in C19 casing of Corinthian pilasters with fascia and cornice, the fascia and cornice extend also over the house door to right. All altered since to two shops. Premises of the Pembrokeshire Herald newspaper and the Narberth, Pembroke & Haverfordwest Electrical Works in 1926, later Stead & Simpson. It is probable that the facade detail has been greatly simplified, as evidenced by the small fragment of a moulded pilaster base on the first floor.
Terraced house and shops, painted stucco, three storeys, three wide bays with parapet. Much altered ground floor but centre 6-panel door up two stone steps, with bootscraper, is in original position. First floor has three big tripartite sashes of 4-12-4 panes, the sidelights very narrow set in broad segmental headed recesses, and with four narrow recessed strips alternated with the windows. Recess to extreme right has a moulded stone base of a pilaster, suggesting that there was richer detail. Top floor has similar centre sash and large 12-pane horned sashes to outer bays. The outer bays are recessed leaving a raised centre and outer piers. Top band broken forward over centre and piers and parapet similarly stepped. The two late C20 shops have a kind of stepped parapet above fascia level with five posts carrying metal rails in front of first floor windows. Some original detail may survive beneath. Gable to rear with slightly lower gabled rear wing with triple sashes to upper floors, and stair lights in lean-to on left side.
Interior of ground floor altered as two shops, but traceried overlight of original front door (a fanlight with radiating bars within a rectangle) is visible from within and room to right retains a cornice. One original 6-panel door. To rear is c. 1840 staircase with continuous thin rail, rising up around a narrow triangular well. Scrolled tread ends. Four flights up and one down to basement.
Included for special interest as terraced front with stucco detail typical of the Regency to early Victorian period.
Other nearby listed buildings