This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7719 / 51°46'18"N
Longitude: -2.9466 / 2°56'47"W
OS Eastings: 334780
OS Northings: 208558
OS Grid: SO347085
Mapcode National: GBR F8.ZHQY
Mapcode Global: VH79F.WQ3J
Entry Name: Velindre (at Pant-y-goitre House)
Listing Date: 9 January 1956
Last Amended: 9 December 2005
Source ID: 87211
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 100m west of Pant-y-Goitre crossroads on the road to Nant-y-derry and standing above the River Usk on the south bank. Velindre is attached to the main house on the west.
Community: Llanover (Llanofer)
Locality: Llanfair Kilgeddin
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Once the service range of Pant-y-goitre House (qv) but now a separate house. It appears to be C18 in origin, and is said to be of 1726, but the evidence has been much overlaid and the building is now very difficult to interpret. It was reconstructed in the early C19 as the service range of the larger house and now retains the character of the C19 with the additional character of having been upgraded into an individual house in the later C20.
The house is built of red brick, rendered to the entrance front, with natural slate roofs and red brick stacks. It does not have a show front as befitted what was a service range and the planning is rambling, being based on the service (kitchen) corridor on the ground floor and the nursery corridor above. Two storeys throughout.
The entrance, which is very understated, is via a courtyard to what was the back door into the kitchens of Pant-y-Goitre. Panelled door and 6 over 6 pane sash windows of different sizes.
The garden elevation was not inspected closely but has revealed red brick walls on a broken front, 6 over 6 pane sashes with 3 over 6 on the upper floor. Hipped roofs with tall stacks.
The interior is plainly finished and has been altered. Its earlier life as service range to Pant-y-goitre are evident with what were the kitchens on the ground floor and what was the nursery wing on the upper floor.
Included for its special interest as the adjunct of a fine C18 country house, itself with C18 origins and good C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings