This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5615 / 52°33'41"N
Longitude: -3.1478 / 3°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 322290
OS Northings: 296584
OS Grid: SO222965
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CMPL
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MW84
Entry Name: Ty'r Garw
Listing Date: 16 December 2005
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87279
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at end of short terraced row, diagonally opposite Three Links Hall.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
House, formerly the Buck Inn, earlier C19, built as a pair with Saddler's House to left. Marked on 1833 map as owned by A.D. Jones Esq, and on 1839 tithe map as The Buck, owned by the late A. D. Jones, occupied by Thomas Davies. A 'Buck Room School' is recorded as being established in 1833, The Buck, Welshpool Road is listed in 1835, probably the same as The Stag, School Lane listed in 1858-9, as the landlord, Arthur Withers, is given as landlord of the Buck in 1880. Jack Withers, landlord of the Cottage Inn in 1880, took over in the 1890s. There was a large brewery and maltings behind, where the first Calvinistic Methodist services were held in 1820-24. The inn closed in 1968. Old photographs show the brick painted, blocked windows on the end wall left bay, and the maltings to the rear.
House, former inn, red brick with rubble stone base and right end wall, slate roof, flat eaves and red brick ridge stack at left end. Basement and two storeys, three bays with raised outer piers, 12-pane horned sashes to outer bays of each floor with gauged brick flat heads and painted stone sills. Centre cambered-headed blank window with no sill over door cambered headed doorway. Renewed 4-panel door with overlight up three stone steps. Cellar light in plinth each side. N end wall has cambered headed windows set flush to wallface, with stone voussoirs and no sills. Triple small-paned casement to attic, two small-paned triple windows with top-lights to each floor below. The ground floor right window is original with iron opening light, the rest are late C20 replacements. Door to extreme right. rear has one three-light casement with top lights to each floor on right. Modern addition to left.
Interior not inspected.
Included as a pair with Saddlers House, both with good Georgian detail including unusual giant pilasters framing facade.
Other nearby listed buildings