This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7682 / 51°46'5"N
Longitude: -4.3697 / 4°22'10"W
OS Eastings: 236581
OS Northings: 210385
OS Grid: SN365103
Mapcode National: GBR DC.ZYJW
Mapcode Global: VH3LV.6TRB
Entry Name: Ferryside Signal Box
Listing Date: 27 March 2014
Source ID: 87670
Location: Near to the centre of the village, on the west side of the crossing at the platfform end of Ferryside station
Community: St. Ishmael (Llanismel)
Community: St. Ishmael
Built-Up Area: Ferryside
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The village of Ferryside developed largely as a seaside resort following the construction of the Swansea-Carmarthen branch of South Wales Railway in the 1850s. The Signal Box was constructed in the 1880s to the designs of a GWR type 3 box and is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Suvey map of 1889.
Two storey of brick to ground floor, partly pebble dashed and vertical timber boarding to upper floor with continually glazed gallery to trackside elevation of small pane windows, now replaced in uPVC but following the form of the original glazing. Gabled slate roof with eaves brackets and plain bargeboards.
East trackside elevation with original round headed windows with small famed glazing to pebble-dashed lower floor with evidence of a projecting low level canopy over signal wires. 'FERRYSIDE SIGNAL BOX' name plate above and to the upper floor gallery with replaced glazing of a single 12 light window to centre, 9 light (formerley horizontal sliding) sashes to sides. South elevation with cental boarded door to lower floor, feather edge boarding above with two replaced windows offset, fixed to left, former sliding slash to right. Ventilation panel in gable. North elevation has replaced projecting deck and access stair to upper floor with timber handrail, central part glazed door to lever room, fixed (replaced) 12 light window to left and projecting toilet extension to right. Ventilation panel in gable. Plain rear (west) elevation with slight projecting brick stack, reduced to eaves line.
Upper floor retains operating floor with locking levers, block shelf, bells and track layout plan. Lower floor with 24 lever frame dating from 1898 intact.
Included for its special architectural interest as a well preserved signal box, the best surviving example of a GWR Type 3 box in the United Kingdom.
Other nearby listed buildings