History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milepost north of Five Locks

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontnewydd, Torfaen

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6672 / 51°40'2"N

Longitude: -3.0314 / 3°1'53"W

OS Eastings: 328762

OS Northings: 196998

OS Grid: ST287969

Mapcode National: GBR J4.626G

Mapcode Global: VH79Z.DCR7

Entry Name: Milepost north of Five Locks

Listing Date: 23 May 2019

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87788

Building Class: Transport

Location: Approx. 100m N of Five Locks Road, on the E side of the canal on the towpath side.

County: Torfaen

Community: Upper Cwmbran (Cwmbrân Uchaf)

Community: Pontnewydd

Built-Up Area: Cwmbran

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford Jnr. as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crossley as engineer. The Crumlin arm was constructed 1792-9 and connected to the main canal at Crindau. Linked to the tramroads the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal.

In 1848 the Monmouthshire Canal Company became the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company. The milepost bears the name of Monmouthshire Canal Company so must predate this. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still in 1880 the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was abandoned finally in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964, and the canal is once again open between Pontymoile and Brecon with the title Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.

Exterior

A small cast iron mile post. An oval carries the number ‘6 ¾’ (north of the beginning of the canal in Newport). Below this a small plaque on the post 'M C Co.', Monmouthshire Canal Company.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special architectural interest as a rare surviving example of a canal marker post from the early operation of the canal. The canal is important for its historic interest as a key part of the early industrial development of the Gwent valleys and the development of transport links from the sources of production to the docks at Newport.

This structure has been afforded Interim Protection under the Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. It is an offence to damage this structure and you may be prosecuted.

To find out more about Interim Protection, please visit the statutory notices page on the Cadw website. For further information about this structure, or to report any damage please contact Cadw.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.