This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0722 / 54°4'20"N
Longitude: -2.871 / 2°52'15"W
OS Eastings: 343098
OS Northings: 464383
OS Grid: SD430643
Mapcode National: GBR 8PDB.7Z
Mapcode Global: WH83Z.WX01
Plus Code: 9C6V34CH+VH
Entry Name: The Winter Gardens
Listing Date: 7 October 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391842
Location: Morecambe, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA4
Civil Parish: Morecambe
Built-Up Area: Morecambe
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Poulton-le-Sands Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM
SD4364 MARINE ROAD CENTRAL, Morecambe
939-1/5/45 (South side)
07/10/77 Nos.207-214 (Consecutive)
The Winter Gardens
Theatre. 1896 by Mangnall and Littlewood.
Rear elevations rendered, facade of red terracotta and brick.
Facade has central doorway, and 6 shop units with some degree
of C20 disfigurement but with some original doors and fascias.
In front are cast-iron columns which supported a glazed
canopy, now demolished. Above, the two 3-storey corner towers
are linked by a glazed 1st floor arcade with balustrade and
central projection. The towers have 3rd floor lunette windows,
and shaped gables with finials. The wide central gable is set
back and has a lunette below a stepped coping with volutes and
Interior: the richly-decorated entrance foyer has a mosaic
floor, a ceiling of elaborate plasterwork, dark timber
revolving doors, 3 box offices, and inner carved doors with
leaded glazing. The walls are of terracotta and colured glazed
Stairs rise to left and right and have marble steps, mosaic
landings, glazed terracotta balustrades, and tiled dados.
At 1st floor level the foyer to the circle is in a similar
style, with a plasterwork ceiling and wall panels, and 2
flights of stairs leading to the upper circle.
The auditorium has a plasterwork ceiling with arched ribs
spanning the 118ft width and with richly decorated panels. The
2 tiers of balconies have raking seating and ornamented
The procenium arch has an entablature, columns, and scrolled
brackets, all enriched with ornament. It is flanked by 2 tiers
of paired boxes with curved fronts.
The earliest part of the Winter Gardens complex, originally
the 'People's Palace', which opened in 1878, lay to the west
of the surviving building and was demolished in 1982.
(Bingham R: Lost Resort?: 147, 273).
Listing NGR: SD4309864383
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings