History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lloyds Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2452 / 52°14'42"N

Longitude: 0.713 / 0°42'46"E

OS Eastings: 585311

OS Northings: 264251

OS Grid: TL853642

Mapcode National: GBR QF0.728

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9TSP

Plus Code: 9F426PW7+35

Entry Name: Lloyds Bank

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466673

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Description


TL8564SW
639-1/14/213
07/08/52

BURY ST EDMUNDS
BUTTERMARKET
(West side)
No.9
Lloyds Bank

GV
II

Premises of Lloyds Bank. Rebuilt for Robert Carss between 1795
and 1797 on the site of the premises of Messrs Spink & Carss,
drapers and bankers. White brick, with Ketton stone dressings;
slate roof with cornice and parapet.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 5 window range, 12-pane
sashes in plain reveals. A stone band below the 1st storey
windows and a deep stone band above them with LLOYDS BANK
LIMITED in large lettering. 3 wide 3-light ground-storey
windows have elliptical arched brick openings with the upper
part blocked and ornamented with delicate simulated Adam style
glazing. 2 semicircular arched doorways have good fanlights,
also in Adam style. From 1829 to 1899 these were the premises
of Oakes, Bevan & Co.'s Bank and the earlier association is
commemorated in the wrought-iron hanging sign attached to the
front. This has the date 1795 and is decorated with
scroll-work and painted in green and gold. At the top is an
oak tree and above the words LLOYDS BANK LIMITED is a gilded
beehive.
INTERIOR: no visible original features inside, apart from the
upper flights of the late C18/early C19 stair of the former
bank house at the south end of the building, with bracketed
open strings, stick balusters and an inlaid ramped handrail.
All the stonework for the building, both inside and out, was
supplied by the Bury St Edmunds stonemason John de Carle:
details are in his account books in the Bury & West Suffolk
Record Office.

Listing NGR: TL8531164251

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.