This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6005 / 53°36'1"N
Longitude: -2.8376 / 2°50'15"W
OS Eastings: 344666
OS Northings: 411874
OS Grid: SD446118
Mapcode National: GBR 8VMT.G1
Mapcode Global: WH86B.CRZN
Entry Name: Ainscoughs Mill
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471861
Location: Burscough, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Burscough
Built-Up Area: Burscough
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burscough Bridge St John
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
Former steam-powered corn mill, empty at the time of inspection ( October 1998). c.1858, extended 1885 and 1894 by Hind and Lumb, and with further late C20 additions and alterations. Red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings and slate roof coverings.
PLAN: Irregular L-plan, comprised of a NORTH-EAST RANGE , facing onto the Leeds-Liverpool canal, a SOUTH-EAST range facing onto the Liverpool to Preston railway line, and a POWER UNIT with boiler house, engine house and chimney.
NORTH-EAST RANGE: faces onto canal to north-east. Triple gabled range of 6 storeys with attic floor, six bays long. Wide central gable, with 4 windows to each floor, formerly with hoist canopy between windows to left-hand side. Narrower gable to left with 3 windows to each floor, and to right, with 2 windows per floor, to left of former hoist canopy. Extending the full length of the frontage, a continuous canopy providing covered unloading facilities fro m the adjacent canal wharf. To the rear of the adjacent power unit, a 5 storey wing with narrow gabled ridge ventilator extending the full length of the building, and now with C20 corrugated sheeting to cheeks. Narrow gable with 3 windows to each floor, many now blocked.
POWER UNIT: L-shaped complex attached to north-west side of north-east range, with tall tapering circular chimney rising from a square plinth, and set between an extended and altered boiler house and to south- west, a 2-storey engine house with decorative brickwork to eaves and verges. South-west gable with windows flanking central double doorway to each storey. Cast iron lintels to door openings.
SOUTH-EAST RANGE: 2 wide gables to right of tall square water tower on north-west side. This has a wide basket arched opening to the ground floor set within a surround of rock-faced sandstone, giving access to main body of mill. Tower of 5 storeys, extended or re-built by a further 4 storeys, with shallow corner pilasters and a plain parapet. Semi-circular headed windows to each floor. To left, 6 storey range links with north-east range. To right, wide gables extend south-westwards, with blocked openings to each side. C20 door inserted into base of left-hand gable. C20 extensions to south-west end are not of special interest.
INTERIORS: boarded floors supported on deep timber joists and spine beams carried on cast-iron columns with splayed and bracketed heads. Wide span composite roof trusses carry multiple purlins. Underboarded roof spars. C20 milling and cleaning machinery throughout, ( removal taking place at time of inspection).
HISTORY: The mill was developed by Hugh Ainscough in 1855 on the site of a former windmill. It was strategically sited next to the Leeds-Liverpool canal and the Liverpool- Preston railway , and was able to transport and process imported wheat from the port of Liverpool.
A substantial and near-complete example of a purpose-built steam powered flour mill, sited close to canal and rail links with Liverpool and the Lancashire coalfield, demonstrating the scale and detailing of a mid-late C19 industrial milling complex.
Listing NGR: SD4466611874
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings