This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6006 / 53°36'2"N
Longitude: -2.8371 / 2°50'13"W
OS Eastings: 344697
OS Northings: 411884
OS Grid: SD446118
Mapcode National: GBR 8VMT.K0
Mapcode Global: WH86B.DR6L
Plus Code: 9C5VJ527+64
Entry Name: Railway Bridge over Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Ainscough's Mill
Listing Date: 28 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480099
Location: Burscough, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40
Civil Parish: Burscough
Built-Up Area: Burscough
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burscough Bridge St John
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD41SW BURSCLOUGH MILL LANE
663-1/2/10018 Railway Bridge over Leeds
and Liverpool Canal at Ainscough's Mill
Railway bridge over canal. 1848 for the East Lancashire Railway, altered early C20 for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. Stone, cast iron and steel.
squared rock faced limestone abutments with dressed stone capping. Cast iron
face girders in four panels, decorative cast iron railings above. Each face girder carrries the inscription:-
JOSEPH BUTLER & Co STANNINGLEY IRON WORKS Nr LEEDS 1848
The girders which carry the track are rivetted steel plate girders and date
from the early C20. This bridge is a particularly good example of a cast iron railway bridge partially replaced with steel, something which happened all over the system following the collapse of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway's Portland Road bridge in Croydon in 1891. Its original appearance is unaltered on the outer faces, the girders are dated and have their makers name and the railings are complete. This bridge is one of an important series of bridges over the Leeds and Liverpool canal and it has group value with the immediately adjacent Ainscoughs Mill.
History: This bridge was built as a part of the East Lancashire Railway which opened 2/4/1849.
This company was a constituent of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway on formation in 1859.
The track was singled in the 1960's but the line remains open.
Listing NGR: SD4469711883
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings