This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4121 / 51°24'43"N
Longitude: -1.809 / 1°48'32"W
OS Eastings: 413382
OS Northings: 168135
OS Grid: SU133681
Mapcode National: GBR 4X4.KGD
Mapcode Global: VHB45.LRJV
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033801
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311381
Location: West Overton, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: West Overton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 16 NW WEST OVERTON CHURCH HILL
9/129 Church of St. Michael
Anglican parish church. 1877-8 by C.E. Ponting, tower 1883. Flint
with squared sarsen banding, and Bath stone quoin and dressings.
Nave with north aisle and south porch and west tower. Chancel with
north transeptual organ chamber and vestry to south. Porch gabled,
with diamond flint and stone patterning and iron terminal cross.
Two light windows with quatrefoiled heads and one 3-light with
panelled head. Chancel windows square headed and Geometric east
window. Tower tall and slender, 4 stages with corner buttresses, a
south-east stair and elongated perforated bell openings. Parapet
with corner tourelles, and Lombardic table below. Aisle has four
groups of triple quatrefoiled lights and a re-used C14 west window.
Interior: Nave has a 4-bay north arcade, alternate quatrefoiled
and round columns supporting twice chamfered arches. Four bay roof
with hammer-beam trusses and arch braces to collars. Open rafters.
Handsome tall tower arch of 3 orders and inner triple impost
columns, the hoodmould with scrolled tail stops. Door on south
side to rood loft, reset. Chancel arch on stilted corbels with
verde antico shafts. Chancel Tractarian, the east wall tiled below
a string with good gilded tiles and inscription. Double piscina on
north. South window sill lowered as sedilia. Pointed boarded
barrel roof. Tower has quadripartite vault and centre bell
opening. Fittings: Font, under tower. C15 type with quatrefoil
panels. Pulpit of oak, panelled. Brass sanctuary rail and C19 oak
eagle lectern. Glass: some good C19 glass, 1875, 1885-8 and
twelve apostles in aisle, of 1898. Monuments: In chancel: Marble
wall tablet. C18. Panel with recessed pilasters and flat cornice
with urns and central crest. Apron below. To Mortimer Powell,
died 1728. In nave: Tablet, 1971 and 3 early C20 brasses. On
west wall a bronze tablet 1960, to Lord Kennet of the Dene, and
adjacent, a second bronze to his wife, Kathleen Scott, sculptor,
died 1947. An ambitious church in a prominent position by an
architect better known for restoration work.
(Pevsner, Buildings of Engand - Wiltshire; Church guide)
Listing NGR: SU1338268135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings