This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2454 / 52°14'43"N
Longitude: 0.7126 / 0°42'45"E
OS Eastings: 585284
OS Northings: 264264
OS Grid: TL852642
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.6YN
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9TKL
Entry Name: Cupola House
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467579
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SW THE TRAVERSE
07/08/52 Cupola House
Includes: Cupola House SKINNER STREET.
House. C17, raised and altered in 1693 for Thomas Macro,
apothecary. Timber-framed and rendered; plaintiled roof with a
wide enriched wood modillion eaves cornice and bedmould with
flower paterae in the soffit. 'Double pile' plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and cellars. 5 window range:
12-pane sashes in flush cased frames to both upper storeys. On
the 2nd storey a central French window has a semicircular
transom light with radiating glazing bars and opens on to a
balcony supported by enriched console brackets; cast-iron
railings with globe finials.
The 1st storey is jettied. Both upper storeys have chamfered
stucco quoins. Ornate weatherboarding in the apex of the south
gable. The ground storey has 2 small-paned bow shop windows in
Georgian style, with bracket supports and dentil cornices.
They flank a central doorway with a wood doorcase having
pilasters and a cornice. A 12-pane sash window in a flush
cased frame on the extreme left and another door on the
extreme right with a rectangular fanlight with vertical
glazing bars. 3 dormers in the roof, all with cornices and
pediments, the central segmental, with 2-light casement
A central octagonal domed lead-covered cupola rises above the
ridge: this has a cornice which breaks forward over pilasters.
Alternate faces have semicircular headed lights with glazing
bars. Dome surmounted by a ball finial and weather vane
bearing the date 1693 and initials T M S. 3 large red brick
chimney-stacks have plain rectangular shafts. This is a
'double pile' house with a valley gutter running between the
front and rear ranges.
The rear elevation to Skinner Street, which is the same height
as the front, has twin gables to the roof. 4 window range: all
12-paned sashes in flush cased frames. A 6-panel door with
pilasters and an open pediment to the doorcase is approached
by steps with iron handrails.
INTERIOR: brick-lined cellars run below the whole building and
a small section running below the street has a 2nd cellar
below it, now disused. The ground and 1st storey rooms all
have reproduction panelling in Baroque style, but in the rear
1st-storey room the corner fireplace has an original
bolection-moulded surround. The 2nd storey retains much
original panelling with bolection mouldings to fireplace and
door surrounds and moulded wood and plaster cornices. The 3rd
storey is plain and currently disused.
The line of an earlier roof-slope, visible on the 3rd storey,
indicates that the front range of the house, facing The
Traverse, was originally only 2 storeys high and was raised to
accommodate the cupola. The outstanding feature of the
building is the open well stair, which is undoubtedly the
finest of its period in the town, rising the full height of
the house and leading to the cupola above the roof.
Barley-sugar twist balusters, closed moulded strings and
moulded handrails carrying an ornate console bracket beside
each square newel-post.
Hanging finials each have a carved floral motif on the soffit.
A double balustrade at the landings. Panelled dadoes reflect
the design of the handrails. The narrower winding top flight,
with a number of missing balusters, leads to the octagonal
cupola which has a panelled dado, a heavy moulded plaster
cornice and a bench round all 7 of the closed sides.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 149).
Listing NGR: TL8528464264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings