This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8066 / 52°48'23"N
Longitude: -1.64 / 1°38'24"W
OS Eastings: 424364
OS Northings: 323293
OS Grid: SK243232
Mapcode National: GBR 5DW.05N
Mapcode Global: WHCG5.SQ77
Entry Name: Offices and Brewhouse of Former Allsopps New Brewery at Ind Coope Burton Brewery
Listing Date: 22 June 1979
Last Amended: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273041
Location: Burton, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE14
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Burton
Built-Up Area: Burton upon Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Burton-on-Trent St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
In the entry for
(Offices of Allied
Breweries (UK) Ltd)
The address shall be amended to read: STATION STREET
Offices and brewhouse of
former Allsopps New Brewery
at Ind Coope Burton
The description shall be amended to read:
Offices and model brewery. 1859-60 by Hunt & Stephenson of Westminster for
Samuel Allsopp & Sons. Red brick with stone dressings; Welsh slate roof largely
invisible behind parapets. Offices face Station Street with long brewhouse range to
rear flanking the railway. Offices:formerly single storey on basement with another
storey added in similar style. Central part with 3 windows breaks forward flanked by
one-window bays; outer bays each have similar large pane sashes flanked by narrower
lights. Steps up to central panelled double doors with plain fanlight in moulded stone
doorcase with flat hood on console brackets forming part of floor band with brick dentil
course. Round-headed windows have blue brick arches with stone keyblocks, the blue
brick continued as an impost band;similar sill band. Rusticated brick quoins. Moulded
stone modillion eaves cornice below stone parapet. One stack with moulded stone cap
to left of central bay. Attached railings with brick corner piers enclose the area.
Left and right return elevations in similar style with 7 + 5 windows. Brewery building
extending from rear; right return elevation: Similar style and materials to offices.
3 storeys; long 29-window range. Central part has 7 windows, flanked by recessed 5-
window ranges and slightly projecting 6-window outer wings. Ground-floor windows have
cambered blue brick heads with stone keyblocks. First and second floor iron casements
have round blue brick arches continuing as impost bands. Perforated ventilators above
and below each window on first floor. Prominent second floor band; brick dentilled
eaves course below concealed stone gutter and parapet. C20 staircase at right end;
some blocked and altered openings. Similar elevation to north, largely concealed on
ground floor by long C20 single-storey addition. Allsopp's New Brewery was built at a
cost of £27,000. In 1887 Alfred Barnard remarked that these buildings are fine
specimens of brick constructed edifices; are of handsome elevation, and have a greater
capacity than those of any other single brewery in England."
J Cooksey: Brewery Buildings in Burton on Trent, p 13-14. London, Victorian Society.
R Sherlock: The Industrial Archaeology of Staffordshire, pp 78-9, Newton Abbot:David
& Charles, 1976.
1. (North Side)
(Offices of Allied
Breweries (UK) Ltd)
SK 22 SW 6/118
Built 1860. Red brick with blue brick and stone dressings; 2 storeys plus
basement. Slightly projecting outer and central bays, each with 3 windows.
Sash windows having semi-circular heads with blue brick rings continued as
bands, plain keyblocks; moulded dentilled brick and stone cornice at 1st floor;
brick quoins to angles; moulded stone doorcase at centre with semi-circular
head, cornice on consoles, and steps up flanked by piers bearing cast iron
lamp standards. Basement has 2 semi-circular headed windows with multi-paned
cast iron lights, and 6 blocked windows. Moulded stone modillioned eaves cornice
with dentils; parapet with entablature over centre bay and flag-poles at sides.
Cast iron forecourt railings extending over frontage incorporating grilled
Listing NGR: SK2436423293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings