History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clun Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Clun, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4249 / 52°25'29"N

Longitude: -3.0256 / 3°1'32"W

OS Eastings: 330358

OS Northings: 281265

OS Grid: SO303812

Mapcode National: GBR B5.N7SY

Mapcode Global: VH769.H9VW

Entry Name: Clun Mill

Listing Date: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257258

Location: Clun, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clun

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clun

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SO 3081-3181 CLUN C.P. MILL LANE
(South-east side)

13/168 Clun Mill


Watermill, now youth hostel. Early C19, extended and re-equipped in
the mid-C19 (John Poundley, engineer). Coursed limestone rubble; H-
plan slate roof with asymmetrically twin-gabled front, 2 storeys to
right and 2 storeys and attic to left. 4-window front; 2-light
segmental-headed wooden casements (first floor to right probably
replacing loft door - see straight joints beneath); central half-
glazed segmental-headed door, door to right blocked in late C20 and
replaced with wooden cross casement, ground floor and first floor
segmental-headed 2-leaf boarded doors to left. 4 tie-plates between
floors to right; small wooden hatch beneath second ground floor
window from left, formerly for accommodating a belt drive to external
machinery. Interior: complete fittings including grain bins in attic,
brackets for shafting on the first floor, ground floor with internal
horizontal reaction wheel, 3 pairs of stones in Hurst frame driven from
beneath (housing lettered: "COTTON AND DAVIES/22, CHEAPSIDE, LIVERPOOL");
sluice wheel; various pieces of additional machinery including a grain
separator, a scalper (grader) and a smutter (cleaner); right-hand wing
with ground floor stable (now washroom), grain store above, and grain
drier at rear with brick-vaulted oven and refractory-brick drying
floor above. Clun Mill formerly had an external undershot paddle
wheel to the South-east, but was altered to its present form in 1850
under the direction of John Poundley, the engineer responsible for
work on the Leighton Estate (Montgomeryshire). The mill ceased working
in 1926. B.O.E., Powys, Pp.117-9.

Listing NGR: SO3035881265

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.