History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 and 5, Bull Ring

A Grade II Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1886 / 52°11'18"N

Longitude: -2.233 / 2°13'58"W

OS Eastings: 384171

OS Northings: 254509

OS Grid: SO841545

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.L9S

Mapcode Global: VH92T.78W2

Plus Code: 9C4V5QQ8+CR

Entry Name: 3 and 5, Bull Ring

Listing Date: 8 March 1974

Last Amended: 27 June 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488629

Location: Bedwardine, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR2

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

Electoral Ward/Division: Bedwardine

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: St John in Bedwardine

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



620-1/15/146 (South side)
08/3/74 Nos.3 AND 5
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.1, 3 AND 5
(Eastern half of No.5))


Terraced houses, now offices left and Doctors' surgery right.
c1800 with later additions and alterations. Red brick (straight
joint between No.1 (qv) and 3); stone sills; stucco detailing.
Front and return roof slopes are slate, otherwise plain clay
tile, hipped to right. Ridge stacks to each end and party-wall
have oversailing courses and pots. Timber bay to left; timber
doorcase to left house, stucco to right house. PLAN: Double-depth
with entrances to right and centre respectively. 3-storeys and
cellar. 6 (2:4) first-floor windows. Stucco detailing includes
plinth to left, doorcase to right. Brick detailing includes
dentilled eaves and decorative surround to right doorcase in
off-white brick. To left ground-floor is canted bay
(2/2:8/8:2/2); to far right is later full-height canted bay under
a hipped roof, (1/1:2/2:1/1) to each floor; otherwise 3/3 sashes
to second-floor and 6/6 elsewhere; all in plain reveals with
sills and flat gauged brick arches; 2 windows to centre
ground-floor have moulded architraves. 2 steps to left entrance,
replaced 3-panel door, bottom panel flush-beaded, upper panels
ovolo moulded; overlight; panelled pilasters with console
brackets to pediment, panelled soffit. Roll-edged stone step to
right entrance; 4-panel bolection moulded door, plain fanlight;
arched head to doorcase has capped vermiculated keystone.
Interior of No.3 retains polychromatic ceramic tiles to hall
floor, simple staircase with stick balusters, panelled doors
(mainly 4-panel, but one of 2-panels), architraves and skirtings;
cornice to front first-floor room; 2 cast-iron fireplaces with
wooden surrounds. Brick steps to brick-paved cellar. Interior of
No.5 not seen.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The First edition O S map shows bays to facade
as extant in 1886.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.