This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6345 / 52°38'4"N
Longitude: -1.1532 / 1°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 457402
OS Northings: 304423
OS Grid: SK574044
Mapcode National: GBR FBK.DG
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.812M
Plus Code: 9C4WJRMW+RP
Entry Name: Former Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 21 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488539
Location: Leicester, LE3
Electoral Ward/Division: Fosse
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/07/2018
Former church of St Paul
(Formerly listed as Church of St Paul)
Former church. 1870-71. By F.W Ordish and J.C Traylen. Mountsorrel granite rubble with limestone dressings. Slate roofs with stone-coped gables with kneelers. Chancel, south-east tower, north-east vestry, nave and aisles and north and south porches.
Early French Gothic style with buttresses. East end apse has five triple lancets each surmounted by a rose window under separate gables, with tall buttresses between. North east vestry has three-light window and a two-light window with plate tracery to east. To south of the chancel is the two-stage tower with hipped roof. Door with two-light window with plate tracery to south and staircase projection to east. Aisles have three-light windows and the nave clerestory above has two-light windows with plate tracery. Triple lancet with rose window above to west end. Gabled porches to north and south at west end of aisles.
INTERIOR. The high interior has chancel with stained glass to the easternmost window and elaborate reredos below of carved stone, marble and mosaic. Set of choir stalls and panelling to walls and low screen with iron gates. Boarded chancel roof on arched braces supported on wall posts rising from stone corbels. Stone and marble pulpit and wooden altar with painted panels at head of nave. Nave arcades of striped stone and brick on circular and octagonal piers with carved capitals. Nave roof, supported on wall posts rising from carved stone corbels, is of cusped arched braces pierced above which support two tiers of purlins and rafters which cross at the gable apex. Sets of pews in nave and aisles. Aisle windows have C19 and C20 stained glass, some by Burlison and Grylls and Morris and Co. In north aisle is an austere square font on base with colonnettes.
This fine lofty church has a careful use of materials outside and an impressive interior with nearly all of the fittings surviving.
Other nearby listed buildings