This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6397 / 52°38'22"N
Longitude: -1.1506 / 1°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 457572
OS Northings: 304995
OS Grid: SK575049
Mapcode National: GBR FBH.ZM
Mapcode Global: WHDJB.9XB7
Entry Name: Fosse Neighbourhood Centre and Library (Formerly Mantle Road School)
Listing Date: 5 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473094
Location: Leicester, LE3
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Fosse
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 50 SE LEICESTER MANTLE ROAD
(north cast side)
Fosse Neighbourhood Centre
(Formerly Mantle Road School)
School, now Neighbourhood Centre and Library, 1898, converted late C20. Designed by Edward Burgess for the Leicester School board. Orange brick with brick dressings and slate roofs with raised parapets and gables. Dentilated brick cornice and moulded first floor band. Free Domestic Revival style. 2 storey. West Mantle Road facade has symmetrical 20 window front, with central 11 window projection. Centre has recessed 3 window section with tall glazing bar sashes to each floor, either side are projecting gabled wings with 4 tall glazing bar sashes and slightly projecting 2 window centres each topped with a segmental pediment. Set back to either side are 2 window sections, that to right forming the base to the ventilation tower. Square brick tower has chamfered corners and stone plaque inscribed "MANTLE ROAD BOARD SCHOOL", above single semi-circular arched opening to each face and above again moulded banding with octagonal corner pinnacles and octagonal cupola topped with leaded dome. To right set back 4 window section with single storey projecting entrance loggia with 3 round arches, 4 brick pilasters and plain parapet. To left set back wing with single sash window and projecting round arched loggia. South front recessed centre and projecting wings at either end. Centre has cover playground loggia with 4 tall cast iron columns supporting classrooms with 10 glazing bar sash windows. Left gable has 3 small windows to ground floor and single tall sash above. Right gable links to lower 2 storey wing with single storey classroom beyond, this has roof ventilator and was built as cookery room or workshop. North front has recessed 10 window centre with glazing bar sashes, to right corner has octagonal brick stack which tapers and projects well above the roofline. Projecting right gabled cross wing has open first floor loggia with 3 round brick arches, corner pilasters and plain parapet. To left 2 storey projection with 2 small windows on ground floor and 2 taller sashes above. Slightly set back left gable has pilastered frontispiece with door and 2 small round headed windows above 3 small windows. Above a since tall sash. INTERIOR retains many original features including staircases with ornate iron balustrade, original doors and some glazed partition walls. Hall retains fine wooden panelled roof and stage to one end. History; erected in 1898 this school was designed to accommodate 1,070 children and 320 infants.
Listing NGR: SK5757204995
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings