This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.517 / 51°31'1"N
Longitude: -0.0972 / 0°5'49"W
OS Eastings: 532123
OS Northings: 181501
OS Grid: TQ321815
Mapcode National: GBR QB.BC
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.84GD
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199275
Location: City of London, London, EC1A
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Aldersgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: Great St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: London
5002 ALDERSGATE STREET EC1
Church of St Botolph
TQ 3281 NW 3/34
TQ 3281 SW 9/34 4.1.50
Base of medieval tower below present tower. A former city church. Partial
rebuilding 1751; virtually rebuilt 1789-91, under Nathaniel Wright, Surveyor to
the north district of the City of London. East front rebuilt 1831. Restorations
1874, 1892, 1953 and 1966. Built in stock brick, base of tower stone; East end
covered in Roman Cement; roofed in copper. Rectangular externally with square bell tower at slight angle against west wall; internally the galleried nave is 4 bays long with apses at each end, one for sanctuary and one for the organ gallery, behind both are contrived several small rooms and passages.
Plain north and south walls of yellow brick with segmental arches to lower windows and round arches above. Parapet to roof. Stuccoed east front rebuilt 1831, with engaged, 4 columned Ionic portico and pediment framing Venetian window. Plain tower at west end of various stock brick, stepped base and cupola with square wooden lantern. Good, galleried interior, with Corinthian colonnades and enriched plaster vaulting. Lunette windows to central aisle. Apse to east and west. Original organ case (in west gallery), altar rails, pulpit, sword rest. Stained glass to east window, late C18. Wall monuments, some from previous building. Later C19 fittings of some quality; pews, brass lamp standards, lectern, paving. See also C.C.C. report PM 797, Feb 78 for details.
Listing NGR: TQ3212381501
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings