This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4241 / 51°25'26"N
Longitude: -0.1512 / 0°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 528641
OS Northings: 171078
OS Grid: TQ286710
Mapcode National: GBR F4.2KQ
Mapcode Global: VHGRC.BGGM
Entry Name: Furzedown House and Attached Conservatory, Now Theatre
Listing Date: 14 November 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207217
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW17
Electoral Ward/Division: Furzedown
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Streatham St Paul, Furzedown
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 27 SE
Furzedown House and attached Conservatory, now Theatre
House now secondary school. 1800-02 altered and extended 1862-67 by James Thomas Knowles to include conservatory.
House gault brick, with hipped slate roofs. Stone dressings. Upper storey said to be refaced by Knowles. Main block, three storeys with two storey wings to south east and north west. Garden front in five bays with central three bays breaking forward slightly. Central entrance, now with pair of glazed doors, full height windows to left and right, some retaining small paned sashes, some with French windows. Upper two storeys have casements with top lights, but in original openings. Windows have flat gault brick arches. Moulded stone band between second and third storeys. Modillion cornice to oversailing eaves. Plain brick stacks with stone copings. Continuous verandah, reached by flight of stone steps, south-east return, two bays with three storey elliptical bow to one bay, retaining two ground floor original sashes (the third now French windows); upper storey sashes. Slender iron balcony to left floor of bow. Rendered band across second bay. Flight of five elliptical steps to ground floor.
Entrance front similarly detailed, with added porch of 1860s with stone balustraded parapet. Retains ground floor sashes with glazing bars. Two storey wing to south-east, has to north-west tall ground floor windows beneath semicircular headed arches with radial glazing bars.
Interior: open well staircase, with cast iron balustrade of 1860s. Moulded mahogany rail. Most ground floor doors are of six raised and fielded panels in moulded architraves, with entablature above set on moulded brackets. Said to be an original grate set in carved chimney piece.
Single storey canted bay and two storey two bay block to conservatory. Limestone. Felt-clad barrel roof. Garden front in seven bays with set back additional single bays to each end. Symmetrical garden front with central entrance, reached by flight of seven stone steps. Semicircular headed full height openings with plain glazed French windows, between pilasters with rosettes to the necking: pierced circular motif to the spandrels. Segmental pediment above entrance, the tympanum bearing elaborate relief showing crowned figure paying homage to a rustic belle, with supporting figures. Stone parapet of pierced circles. Single bay to right similarly detailed. To left, central bay similarly detailed, flanked by blank panels between pilasters.
Interior: cast iron barrel vault with latticed ribs tapering to the crown, and supported on pierced brackets into pendentives resting on piers between the windows. End walls in three bays reflecting detailing of exterior, with frieze of linked pierced circles, and pilasters, paired between arched openings, detailed on the exterior.
Listing NGR: TQ2864171078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings