This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4605 / 51°27'37"N
Longitude: -0.1702 / 0°10'12"W
OS Eastings: 527214
OS Northings: 175088
OS Grid: TQ272750
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.ZM
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.0KC7
Plus Code: 9C3XFR6H+5W
Entry Name: Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 28 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206989
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Northcote
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Battersea Rise St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
BATTERSEA RISE SWll
TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 Church of St Mark
the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended
to read as follows:
Anglican church. 1872-4 by William White. Stock brick with red brick dressings and diaper
over mass concrete core, tiled roof. Four-bay nave with north aisles, tower at south-west
corner supporting wooden belfy and shingled broad-eaved broach spire; raised chancel and
ambulatory over crypt. Gabled south porch leads into diminutive south transept.
Internally, the four-bay nave arcade does not follow the pattern of the more regularly-spaced
clerestorey above. Concrete piers with naturalistic stone-carved capitals by Harry Hems.
Aisled windows, one with fragmentary stained glass, have marble sills. Chancel with apsidal
sanctuary set within round brick piers of ambulatory. The spandrels of the ambulatory arcade
gilded and painted with emblems. Tiled floor inset with panels by J R Clayton; choir stalls,
pulpit and font (raised on tiled and stone stepped plinth) to White's designs. Altar on stone
plinth behind low brass rails.
At the east end the ambulatory descends to crypt, with octagonal brick piers and lierne brick
BATTERSEA RISE SW11
Church of St Mark
TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54
1873 to 76 William White. 13th Century Gothic-style. Yellow brick with red brick
dressings and diaper.
Tower at south-west, integral with west elevation, rises to corbelled upper stage
supporting wooden belfry and shingled broad-eaved broach spire. Gabled south porch
Interior: nave, north aisle, south transept, apsidal sanctuary with ambulatory.
Sanctuary tiles by J R Clayton. Font of Devon marble.
Listing NGR: TQ2721475088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings