This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4635 / 51°27'48"N
Longitude: -0.1674 / 0°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 527405
OS Northings: 175426
OS Grid: TQ274754
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.LK
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.1GWY
Entry Name: Arding and Hobbs Store
Listing Date: 30 November 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488213
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Northcote
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Battersea Rise St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
1207/0/10124 LAVENDER HILL
30-NOV-01 Arding and Hobbs Store
ST JOHN'S ROAD
Arding and Hobbs Store
Department store. Built in 1910 by James Gibson in Edwardian Baroque style. Some late C20 alterations including shopfronts and internal alterations. Structure steel framed with reinforced floors for fire protection but exterior clad in red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings and centrepieces with Wrennaissance treatment.
EXTERIOR: Four storeys with nine windows to Lavender Hill front, twenty to St John's Hill front and three to the corner under the principal feature of the building,a large octagonal stone tower with florid dome to top and base with carved ovals with crown and four open pediments supported on composite columns. Below the corner cupola the second and third floors are of stone with large blank panels to parapet, moulded cornice and architraves and second floor windows having in addition blank tablets above with swags. The remainder of the nmain fronts have a panelled parapet with piers at regular intervals. Third floor windows are in moulded architraves flanked by panels with the initials A and H and swags. Second floor windows have curved open pediments, console brackets and blank panels. Lavender Hill front has central large curved pediment on pilasters through second and third floors with round-headed niches with putto, keystone, swags and blank panels. Second floor window has open pediment, console brackets and carving. The St John's Hill front has two of these centrepieces, the southernmost one with an early C20 gabled extension above. The entire first floor has a continuous wooden display window with round-headed fanlights, brackets and pilasters and stone fascia above with name of shop. Ground floor shopfronts have been replaced with 1970s aluminium shopfront and canopy. The southernmost four bays of the rear elevation to Ilminster Gardens has similar treatment to the main elevations. The remainder of this elevation is set back. The central 12 bays has pilasters, plain triple wooden casements and right side ground floor windows with leaded lights and some heraldic shields which would have been part of the sales floor. Left hand side has three shutter fronts doors and canopy. Northernmost part has three round-headed windows to second floor and mullioned and transomed metal casements below. Stone rear entrance with panel with fasces and shield with the initials A and H.
INTERIOR: Originally the ground and first floors would have been the main sales floors with with workrooms above, dispatch at basement and third floor levels and restaurant, called the Ardington Rooms, on the third floor. Secondary staircases with cast iron railings and some original doors, particularly on the ground floor. First floor has original plaster moulding and some cast iron columns with plumed capitals. The second floor has structural cast iron columns. The third floor has a stained glass dome, coved cornice and high relief plaster with fruit motifs and an adjoining room with segmental arched ceiling with square panels and painted over lightwell with stained glass which originally housed the restaurant. There are also plaster mouldings and plainer columns on the third floor.
HISTORY: The firm of Arding and Hobbs started as a drapery shop in Wandsworth High Street in 1867 but moved to the present site because of its greater commercial importance. The original buildings on the site of 1881-1885 were destroyed in a fire of 1909. The present buildings were the largest and grandest department store built south of the Thames.At the time of inspection early photographs of both buildings on the site were on display on the third floor.
[Buildings of England. London 2: South. P678.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings