History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mark's Infant School

A Grade II Listed Building in Wandsworth, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4605 / 51°27'37"N

Longitude: -0.1698 / 0°10'11"W

OS Eastings: 527244

OS Northings: 175094

OS Grid: TQ272750

Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.2M

Mapcode Global: VHGR5.0KL6

Entry Name: St Mark's Infant School

Listing Date: 23 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389136

English Heritage Legacy ID: 486730

Location: Wandsworth, London, SW11

County: London

District: Wandsworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Northcote

Built-Up Area: Wandsworth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Battersea Rise St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Balham

Listing Text


TQ2775 BATTERSEA RISE
1207/9/10120 (North side)
23-JAN-01 St Mark's Infant School

GV II

Church elementary school. 1866-7 to the designs of Benjamin Ferry, at the expense of Philip Cazenove on land donated by Earl Spencer, Lord of the Manor. Stock brick with red brick bands, tiled half-hipped roof, with large polygonal stacks set in angle and at rear. Irregular plan on site apex site. Single storey. Roof projects over dentiled eaves. Large timber casement windows with square panes to schoolroom in end walls project into gable, and are set within polychromatic pointed recesses. One of these, to road, is inscribed `ST MARK'S SCHOOL 1866'. Windows in rear elevations renewed. Doors in projecting porches, one within pointed arch, one renewed.

Interior not inspected but noted to contain single large school room with open timber roof, into which a suspended ceiling of no interest has been included.

St Mark's School is a rare and little altered example of a diminutive church school in London, whose building coincides with the development of Clapham Junction in the 1860s. Benjamin Ferry was among the leading church architects of his day and he may have supposed that the subsequent commission for St Mark's Church, which the school adjoins, may have come his way. Instead it went to William White, a slightly younger and more radical architect in the Gothic style and the two buildings form a fine group.

Sources
The Builder, 9 February 1867, p.1000
Emily Cole, Historical Analysis and Research Team, Reports and Papers no. 42, 2000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.