This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5131 / 51°30'47"N
Longitude: -0.1298 / 0°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 529873
OS Northings: 181012
OS Grid: TQ298810
Mapcode National: GBR HC.0R
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.P7RD
Entry Name: Palace Theatre
Listing Date: 29 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 208945
Location: Westminster, London, W1D
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 NE and 2981 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CAMBRIDGE CIRCUS, W1
Theatre. 1888-1891 built as the Royal English Opera House by T E Collcutt and
G H Holloway for Richard D'Oyly Carte. Island site. Banded Ellistown red brick
and Doulton's buff terracotta, slate and lead roofs, in Collcutt's Norther
Renaissance manner. 4 main storeys. The slight concave front to the Circus
divided into 3 main bays articulated by octagonal corbelled corner towers and
similar inner turrets crowned by domes and with a broad banded gable over all.
Central tripartite groups of arcaded doors under glazed cantilevered canopy
returned to sides. Mullioned transomed arcaded-light windows cum loggias
designed to be opened in summer, moulded terracotta aprons, friezes and cornices.
Similar details to side elevations. Much of the rich terracotta ornament has
however been removed. Fine 3 tier balcony auditorium, its amphitheatre remodelled
by F Emblin-Walker in 1908 and with the original stage boxes removed; marble and
onyx wall claddings now painted; grand marble staircase with alabaster balusters
etc. Substantial relics of the machinery above and below stage of unique
interest in London being a mixed wood and iron system designed by Dando for the
D'Oyly Carte's elaborate opera productions. Opera having failed, it became the
Palace Theatre of Varieties in 1892; on April 10th 1910 Pavlove made her first
London appearance here; the Palace Theatre from 1911.
The Theatres of London; Mander and Mitchenson.
Survey of London; Vol. XXXIII
Listing NGR: TQ2987381012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings