This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.729 / 51°43'44"N
Longitude: 0.429 / 0°25'44"E
OS Eastings: 567847
OS Northings: 206155
OS Grid: TL678061
Mapcode National: GBR NJ5.F9Q
Mapcode Global: VHJK1.DS5X
Plus Code: 9F32PCHH+HJ
Entry Name: Writtle Bowling Club Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 15 September 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468842
Location: Writtle, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1
Civil Parish: Writtle
Built-Up Area: Writtle
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Writtle All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL6706 WRITTLE ROMANS PLACE
926/27/10009 Writtle Bowling Club
Walled garden. Dated 1656 on a brick at the corner of Roman's Place and the Churchyard but part could be C16, altered in C18 and C19. Red brick wall, mainly in random bond but with some English bond to the lower parts and Flemish bond to the upper parts, forming a square about 50 yards long on each side. North side to Roman's Place is approx. 3m high with dogtooth cornice, 9 brick buttresses and opening with concrete lintel and wooden door. The 5 bays nearest the Churchyard are of C16-C17 brickwork and the rest late C18 in Flemish bond. The west side to the Churchyard is of 3m sloping down to approx 1.8m with a coping of large tiles. The east side to Lodge Road is of 1.8m-3m with ramped top partially restored in C20 and 10 brick buttresses. The lower courses appear C16, the upper late C18 and are part English and part Flemish bond. The south side is approx 1.8m-2.4m high of C17 and C18 brickwork with plain coping. This was formerly a walled garden to the Vicarage. Two Roman urns were discovered on this site in 1840.
Listing NGR: TL6784706155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings