This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2307 / 52°13'50"N
Longitude: -1.0922 / 1°5'31"W
OS Eastings: 462099
OS Northings: 259552
OS Grid: SP620595
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.0PJ
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.06Z9
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Large Magazine to West of the Series of Four Magazines in Magazine Enclosure
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360834
Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/188 BRIDGE STREET
29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, LARGE MAGAZINE
TO WEST OF THE SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZIN
ES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE
Magazine. c1857. English bond red brick, gabled Welsh slate roofs with moulded corbels to kneelers of coped gables. Stepped eaves to side elevations. Plan incorporates four vaulted chambers, and the magazine is separted from the earlier group by an earth traverse of the same date. Segmental arches over four doorways in north elevation, with ventilators above: each has a ventilator with pulley-operated inner and outer shutters; iron outer and timber inner frames. South elevation is similar, except doorways widened late C20. Side elevations have perforated wrought-iron plates to ventilators, which are baffled internally. Interior: catenary arches to each chamber, with inserted openings to originally blind openings between.
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. Although the magazines (drawings of 1816 in Royal Engineers Library, W140 (D38), and later plans and drawings also archived there) are smaller in terms of their individual scale than the late 18th century example at Priddy's Hard opposite the naval dock at Portsmouth (listed grade I and like the Weedon examples built to the distinctive British double-vaulted plan), as a group they had no rival until the suite of traversed magazines were built at Bull Point, Plymouth, in the 1850s (Scheduled Ancient Monument). Catenary arches were first used at Tipnor in the 1790s and then Colonel D'Arcy's magazine at Upnor. The use of traverses makes the group highly innovatory in terms of its planning, blast walls of earth (sometimes faced in brick) being henceforth a characteristic features of magazine complexes. These traverses have also uniquely assumed an architectural form.
Drawings of this magazine in Royal Engineers Library W54 (810), W55 (D45) 810, W57 (D43)). For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings