This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2465 / 52°14'47"N
Longitude: 0.713 / 0°42'46"E
OS Eastings: 585310
OS Northings: 264386
OS Grid: TL853643
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.12Y
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9STR
Entry Name: Number 42 (East Half)
Listing Date: 18 December 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466758
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
639-1/7/288 (North side)
House and shop. Early C19, possibly with an older core. Red
brick, laid in Flemish bond; plaintiled mansard roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. One window to each storey on the Cornhill
frontage: C20 casements to the 1st storey with gauged brick
arched surrounds; a late-C19 6-pane sash window to the 2nd
storey. The ground storey has a plate-glass shop window with
fluted pilasters, fascia and cornice to an early C19
architrave. An early C20 half-glazed door to the left, with a
rectangular fanlight, set in an early C20 moulded wood
architrave. The return front to Brentgovel Street has a
segmental brick arch over the C20 first storey casement window
and a C20 shop window on the ground storey.
INTERIOR: incorporates remains of the early C16 east bay of
No.42 (west half) (qv). Warren's map of 1747 marks the
building on this site as 'the Hall'.
Listing NGR: TL8531064386
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings