This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2458 / 52°14'44"N
Longitude: 0.7121 / 0°42'43"E
OS Eastings: 585253
OS Northings: 264308
OS Grid: TL852643
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.0W9
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9TB8
Entry Name: Market Cross
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466764
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
639-1/14/294 (West side)
07/08/52 Market Cross
(Formerly Listed as:
Former playhouse and town hall, now an art gallery on the
upper storey with offices below. Between 1774 and 1780. By
Robert Adam, architect; built by Thomas Singleton, stonemason
of Bury St Edmunds, who also carved the decorative panels.
White brick with Ketton stone used for dressings on the upper
storey above a rusticated ground storey.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; oblong cruciform plan; on a island site.
The ground storey has semicircular headed arches on all faces
and is partly open; some windows with glazing-bars. Doorways
on the north and south fronts have a panel on each side carved
in low relief with masks and emblems representing the Muses.
The upper storey has all 4 principal faces treated in the same
way with a Venetian window embraced by Ionic engaged columns
supporting a frieze and pediment. On each side are plastered
niches carrying Etruscan type stone ornaments. Stone panels
above these niches have swags and paterae. All other faces
have C19/C20 replacement small-paned sash windows set in
moulded stone architraves, some with pediments on console
brackets and some with cornices and ornamental friezes. All
windows on the 1st storey have stone balustrading to the
sills. The building is topped by a stone cornice with a stone
INTERIOR: has undergone considerable changes and the upper
room is now rather plain: plaster cornices with palmettes; 3
central bosses in the ceiling have acanthus-leaf decoration
and a fluted outer ring with swags. Doors with 4 long moulded
sunk panels. A fireplace, with detached fluted columns,
decorated with plaster swags and garlands, is in Adam style
but made of cast-iron. An exact double of this fireplace
surround is in a principal bedroom at No.2 Angel Hill, now
part of the Angel Hotel (qv).
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 146).
Listing NGR: TL8525364308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings