This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.399 / 52°23'56"N
Longitude: 0.9435 / 0°56'36"E
OS Eastings: 600351
OS Northings: 281964
OS Grid: TM003819
Mapcode National: GBR SG0.KBX
Mapcode Global: VHKCH.9YNS
Entry Name: Jacques
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Last Amended: 17 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220531
Location: Garboldisham, Breckland, Norfolk, IP22
Civil Parish: Garboldisham
Built-Up Area: Garboldisham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Garboldisham St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 0081 GARBOLDISHAM BACK STREET
14/12 Jacques (Formerly listed as
21/7/51 Jacques and barns)
Hall house. c.1490, floored mid C17, altered C18. Timber framed with lath
and plaster infill and thatched roof. 2 storeys on brick plinth and attic.
Door right of centre in plain timber case below 6-light timber mullioned dias
window to Hall : hollow chamfered mullions rising to wall plate, each light
round-headed under square frame. 2 3-light C18 leaded casements to left of
door and similar unleaded window right. 2 C18 casements and one C20 to first
floor. Gabled roof. C17 inserted ridge stack to right of centre and C18
external north gable stack. North and south gables with drip shelves. Rear
with flat-topped C19 outshut to left of door. 2 C18 leaded casements to ground
floor and 4 additional leaded casements above of 2 or 3 lights. Interior.
C15 screen truss with 2 openings to north of dining room, one leading to this
room, the other to inserted passage. Original door at west of passage blocked.
Service rooms to north of screen converted to lounge after reconstruction
Cl8. Dining room in lower part of hall, floored in mid C17 using bridging
beam with sunk quadrant mouldings and tongue stops. Room below solar converted
to kitchen on insertion of central stack. Roof to hall intact in form of
single central spanning arched tie beam on arched braces dropping to demi-
hexagonal responds with crenellated capital on principal studs. One square
section crown post with 4 arched braces on engaged fillets supports collar
and crown purlin. Crown purlin continues to plain crown post with one arched
brace at north; supported in stack brickwork to south. Rafters and collars
also intact and smoke blackened from open hearth. First floor solar to south
close studded with middle rail.
Listing NGR: TM0035181964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings