This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.396 / 52°23'45"N
Longitude: 0.9444 / 0°56'39"E
OS Eastings: 600424
OS Northings: 281630
OS Grid: TM004816
Mapcode National: GBR SG0.RLL
Mapcode Global: VHKCP.B13K
Plus Code: 9F429WWV+9P
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220534
Location: Garboldisham, Breckland, Norfolk, IP22
Civil Parish: Garboldisham
Built-Up Area: Garboldisham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Garboldisham St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 0081 GARBOLDISHAM CHURCH STREET
14/15 Church of St. John
Parish church. C13, Cl4 and C15 restored 1862. Flint with ashlar dressings
and slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Tower C15 in 3 stages
of chequered flint and stone masonry. Diagonal buttresses with flushwork,
some forming geometric designs on bases with flushwork frieze. Blocked west
doorway and roof line of porch below 3-light cusped window with depressed
arch. 2-light louvred belfry windows with reticulation unit above 4-centred
lights. Elaborate crenellated parapet with flushwork terminating in corner
finials. Nave and aisles have plain parapets designated by string courses.
South aisle has 4 3-light mid C14 windows of intersecting type with mouchettes
under hoods on head stops. 4-centred south door with moulded jambs and flat
buttresses. Clerestory of 4 2-light square-headed windows with ogeed lights
and supermullions. Chancel reconstructed 1862 by G.E. Street. South side
has arched priest's door with original hood mould, reticulated segmental window
above and arched 2-light window in Early English style. 2 flat buttresses.
5-light east window of composite character. Lean-to vestry north of chancel.
North nave with 4 3-light windows as south. Elaborate north porch of dressed
flint and ashlar c.1500 commemorating William Pece : diagonal buttresses on
plinth inscribed with Gothic characters, arched opening in square hood with
fleuron jambs flanked by one canopied niche each side below shallow gable
also with Gothic inscription and central shield. Roof of porch has decorated
wall plate, principal on arched braces, 2 moulded purlins and ridge piece.
Interior. 4 bay arcade of octagonal columns (second bay has circular columns)
with moulded bases and capitals supporting double hollow chamfered arches.
Clerestory windows are over apex of arches. Tall tower arch with circular
responds and continuous hollow chamfered jambs. Chancel arch responds triple
roll moulded with moulded arch. Nave roof c.1500 : tie beams on arched braces
to wall plate, in turn supported on corbels; one tier moulded butt purlins,
plain ridge piece and star bosses. Aisle roofs similar. C13 octagonal font
on C19 plinth and stem. The bowl is decorated with square roll moulded blank
panels. North-east chapel screen C15 of 4 bays and central ogeed opening,
all above dado C19 or later. Dado panels painted with saints above base of -
route tournants and below Perpendicular tracery head. C19 arch from chapel
to chancel. 3 bench sedilia under chancel south window and double cusped
and sub-cusped piscina. Base of chancel screen C15 with 4 bays each side
of opening : quatrefoils and shields to base and Perpendicular tracery above.
C19 chancel roof of collars on large arched braces to wall plate. Carved
timber Royal Arms over south door.
Listing NGR: TM0042481630
Other nearby listed buildings