History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Old Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thundridge, Hertfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8379 / 51°50'16"N

Longitude: -0.0157 / 0°0'56"W

OS Eastings: 536810

OS Northings: 217335

OS Grid: TL368173

Mapcode National: GBR KB7.NW5

Mapcode Global: VHGPH.P22F

Entry Name: Remains of Old Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077953

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356028

Location: Thundridge, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Thundridge

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

TL 31NE THUNDRIDGE OLD CHURCH LANE
(north side)
Thundridge Bury
2/19 Remains of Old Church of
St Mary and All Saints
24.1.67
II*

Church. W tower only remains. C15 tower with C12 doorway and C14
window set in blocking of tower arch when church demolished in
1853. Flint rubble with stone dressings and clunch moulded
frames to openings. Roofed by a concrete slab at former parapet
level. A tall 3-stage square W tower with diagonal buttreses at
W corners. An internal spiral stair rises in the SW corner. W
front has weathered string courses at each level with sloped
plinth and protecting string course just above it. 3-light
cusped C15 W window immediately over contemporary W door with 4
centred depressed head, hollow moulded jambs, spandrels, square
surround and moulded label with grotesque heads as stops.
Pointed loop to middle stage and 2-light traceried openings on
each face of the bell stage. Large oval cast-iron tie plates at
2 levels on side walls. Chevron and dogtooth moulded arch and 2-
light square headed, ogee traceried window with ferramenta and
label with caved headstops, in blocking of equilateral C15 tower
arch with hollow moulded imposts. Frame of hatchment fixed hiqh
inside tower. Quatrefoil in circle dial stone on S face of
tower. Stone slab dial fixed higher up on same face. Many
carved C18 gravestones in surrounding churchyard with C17 and C18
brick wall. (RCHM (1911) 221: VCH (1912) 379: Pevsner (1977)
364).


Listing NGR: TL3681017335

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.