This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5351 / 51°32'6"N
Longitude: -0.1939 / 0°11'38"W
OS Eastings: 525362
OS Northings: 183340
OS Grid: TQ253833
Mapcode National: GBR 03.NW
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.LPB2
Entry Name: Kilburn Park Underground Station
Listing Date: 15 March 1979
Last Amended: 23 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078871
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198751
Location: Brent, London, NW6
Electoral Ward/Division: Kilburn
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Augustine Kilburn
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2583 CAMBRIDGE AVENUE NW6
Kilburn Park Underground Station
London Underground Station. 1914-15, probably by Stanley Heaps, but retaining the distinctive house style established by his predecessor Leslie Green for the London Electric Railway. Red glazed faience. Single storey surface building with flat roof. Six bay frontage to Cambridge Avenue, with two-bay return to Alpha Place. Each bay contains a round-arched opening, those at either end of the Cambridge Avenue facade being entrances to the station, that to the right with blue canopy. The two bays immediately to the right of the other entrance retain their original tripartite fenestration, found in the top lights elsewhere, and small-paned glazing. This forms a lattice pattern which is repeated under the windows. Between each window the faience-clad pilasters repeat the round-arched motif. Above them is a tiled frieze set into the faience: over each bay is respectively "EXIT", "UndergrounD", "KILBURN", "PARK", UndergrounD" and "ENTRANCE", and a dentiled cornice. This pattern, with "KILBURN" and "PARK" is repeated on the Alpha Place elevation.
INTERIOR. Tiled entrance hall with dentiled band below plain plaster frieze. Ticket windows in pedimented aediculed timber surrounds. Opposite these is a substantial original timber kiosk with similar moulded cornice band, sash windows, dado panelling and panelled door. Octagonal light fittings. By the escalators (renewed) are areas of chequerboard tiling forming a framework for posters. The plain double escalator well is toplt by an oval glazed dome, with higher central light. Lower escalator hall has moulded arches with keystones leading to the platforms to either side, and tiling to above the springing level of this round-arched space. At the far end is a veneered timber observation kiosk surmounted by clock. The platforms are tiled, on the concourse side to the height of the continuous frieze bearing the station name. Voussoirs to all tunnel entrances.
Included as a remarkably complete late example of the corporate style established in the early 1900s by Leslie Green for the London Electric Railway. This is a particularly sophisticated and lavish example.
Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations, 1985
David Lawrence, Underground Architecture, 1994
Listing NGR: TQ2536283340
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings