History in Structure

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hindlip, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2254 / 52°13'31"N

Longitude: -2.1767 / 2°10'36"W

OS Eastings: 388024

OS Northings: 258587

OS Grid: SO880585

Mapcode National: GBR 1FT.GHQ

Mapcode Global: VH92N.7B3D

Plus Code: 9C4V6RGF+48

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 14 March 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081190

English Heritage Legacy ID: 147896

ID on this website: 101081190

Location: St James's Church, Hindlip, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR3

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Hindlip

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Salwarpe and Hindlip with Martin Hussingtree

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



Church of St James

Parish church. C15 origins, nave and chancel rebuilt 1864, altered and
enlarged in 1887 by W J Hopkins. Ashlar, plain tiled roof behind parapets
with cross finials at gable ends. West tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle,
3-bay chancel with south chapel, north vestry, and organ chamber. Decorated
style. West tower: C15, much restored; 2 stages with strings below silence
chamber and parapet; diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end; west
doorway forms main entrance; pointed arched, 2 nookshafts each side with
moulded capitals and bases, late C19 square hood with foliated label stops,
blind quatrefoil tracery in spandrels; above is a 4-light window with late
C15 tracery, cambered head and hood mould with foliated label stops; belfry
stage has C17, square-headed, 2-light louvred openings and in both north
and south elevations is a small, rectangular opening to the silence chamber
immediately above the lower string; embattled parapet, originally with corner
pinnacles which were removed in the early C20. Nave: rebuilt 1864; north
elevation has a 2-light window at the west end with hood mould and foliated
label stops; to the left of it is a C15 cusped lancet; part of the north vestry
protrudes across the easternmost bay. South aisle and chapel added in 1887,
replacing former south transept; they share the same separate roof lying
parallel to the nave and 2 westernmost bays of the chancel; the roof has a
parapet above a string and which has a moulded coping and paired, blind,
cusped, pointed arches at the corners; buttresses have offsets and gablets
containing pointed-lobed trefoils at each end and at division between aisle
and chapel; windows are all 2-lights with hood moulds and foliated label
stops and there is a string course beneath sill level; the south elevation
has 2 windows flanking a C15 cusped lancet, and the chapel is lit by a
single window set at a slightly higher level; there is a large window at
each gable end. Chancel: 1864, lengthened in 1887; parapet of same design
as south aisle and chapel and the string continues round, well below sill
level; 3-light east window with hood mould and short string immediately
below sill level, both having foliated stops; loophole in gable with string
immediately beneath; at east end of north and south elevations is a late
C19 cusped lancet with hood mould and foliated label stops. North vestry
and organ chamber added 1887; buttresses at ends, parapet and window in
north and east elevations detailed similarly to south aisle; to right of
north window is narrow, pointed doorway with hood mould and foliated label
stops; the continuous string course terminates left of the doorway in a
foliated stop; in the angle between the vestry and nave is a canted bay,
flat-roofed, the parapet pierced with a quatrefoil frieze and having a
central, cusped lancet; stone steps with wrought iron railings are set
against the bay and lead into the vestry basement. Interior: there is no
chancel arch; the tower arch is round arched and of 3 chamfered orders,
the inner one having octagonal moulded capitals. South arcade of 3
pointed arches on column, quatrefoil-shaped in section with moulded capitals
and bases; 2-bay arcades each side west end of chancel of pointed arches and
a central column with foliated capital and moulded base. Late C19 roofs,
the principal rafters supported on corbels carved to form bearded faces;
there are cusped, traceried panels above the chancel wall-plate. Reredos of
ornate stonework panels and inscriptions, cusped ogee arch at centre with
marble base and nookshafts and within which is a relief of The Last Supper.
Late C19 altar table, brass altar rails, brass chancel screen, and parcloses.
Late C19 pulpit and neo-Norman font. C15 tiles now set in walls of tower base.
Late C19 misericords along south wall. Memorials include two mid-C19 ones
in south aisle to Thomas Anthony, third Viscount Southwell, died 1860, and his
wife, Jane, died 1853, and 2 of early C19 date in tower base; also, outside
on the north wall to the top left of the westernmost window is a mid-C18 oval
wall memorial to Henry Restall, died 1740. All windows are filled with late
C19 stained glass; east window is by Hardman. A complete embodiment of the
pious Victorian Lord of the Manor's religious ideals, including all interior
fittings. (VCH Vol 3ii; BoE).

Listing NGR: SO8802458587

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.