This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0641 / 54°3'50"N
Longitude: -0.5818 / 0°34'54"W
OS Eastings: 492913
OS Northings: 464053
OS Grid: SE929640
Mapcode National: GBR SPCF.TX
Mapcode Global: WHGD3.136R
Entry Name: Deer House to Sledmere House Park Approximately 600 Metres to South-East of House
Listing Date: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167856
Location: Sledmere, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sledmere
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sledmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
SLEDMERE MAIN STREET
SE 96 SW (south side)
4/46 Deer House to Sledmere
House Park approximately
600 metres to south-east
Deer house. 1792. For Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd Barnonet, reputedly to
his own design. Pinkish-brown brick and painted timber with Welsh slate
roof. Single-tall-storey 3-bay centre with single-lower-storey, single-bay
wings. Centre: open to front and back with arcades of 5 tapering Tuscan
columns supporting timber pediments. Wings have plank doors in segmentally
arched surrounds. Eaves band. The left range is open to its gable end.
Built as an eye-catcher to Sledmere House (qv). John Popham, 'Sir
Christopher Sykes at Sledmere - II' Country Life, 23 January, 1986, p 190.
Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 346.
Listing NGR: SE9291364053
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings