This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0685 / 54°4'6"N
Longitude: -0.5803 / 0°34'49"W
OS Eastings: 493003
OS Northings: 464553
OS Grid: SE930645
Mapcode National: GBR SPDD.59
Mapcode Global: WHGCX.1ZYW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167850
Location: Sledmere, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sledmere
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sledmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
SLEDMERE MAIN STREET
SE 9263-9264 (south-east side, off)
17/40 Church of St Mary
GV II *
Church. 1898 with medieval origins to base of tower and with reused Norman
corbels built into roof of organ chamber. By Temple Moore for Sir Tatton
Sykes, 5th Baronet, and with carvings by John Thompson & Co. Sandstone
ashlar with lead roof. 3-stage west tower, 5-bay aisled nave with south
porch, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Gothic Revival in the style of the
C14 with reticulated-type tracery throughout. Tower: stepped and chamfered
plinth. South-west stair turret. To west end are angle buttresses with
offsets almost to full height. West side has pointed 3-light window under
hoodmould. First- and second-stage bands. To third stage are pointed,
2-light belfry openings. Corbel table with central gargoyles. Battlements
pierced with crosses. Nave: stepped and chamfered plinth. Gableted angle
buttresses and buttresses between bays. South side. Porch to second bay
has angle buttresses with offsets. Pointed-arched opening under hoodmould.
Above are 3 crocketed ogee arches with statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary
between 2 saints, one holding a key and the other a casket. Corbel table.
Low decorative parapet. Within a pointed decoratively panelled door in
surround of 3 orders of nook-shafts supporting roll-moulding, under
hoodmould ornamented with fleurons. Elaborate tierceron-vault to roof.
Otherwise south and north aisles have 3-light pointed windows under
hoodmoulds. To east ends are octagonal stair turrets to corners, with blind
arcaded tops. Chancel: chamfered plinth. Buttresses with gargoyles between
bays, and at angles. 4-light, straight-headed windows throughout under
hoodmoulds, except to vestry which has 3-light pointed windows and 2- and
3-light straight-headed windows; entrance to vestry a pointed plank door
within moulded surround. Low parapet. Interior. Medieval triple-chamfered
pointed tower arch under hoodmould with label stops and with double-
chamfered sides. Nave has 4-bay triple-chamfered arcade on clustered piers
with moulded capitals and bases and with roll-moulding to head. Ornate
timber rood screen. Chancel is richly decorated with statues and has inner
tracery to the windows. Triple sedilia and piscina. Roofs: aisles are
vaulted with diagonally set ribs, nave and chancel have wagon roofs. Late
C19 octagonal font with elaborate carved cover. Monuments: 2 Neoclassical
marble wall monuments, black strigillated sarcophagi surmounted by white oil
lamps in south aisle to Elizabeth Egerton and to the Kirkby family erected
in 1795. In tower, to Sir Mark Masterman Sykes d 1823 by S Manning and
J Bacon, a mourning female figure and broken column; and to Henrietta
Masterman d 1813 by Rouw, a seated figure by a sarcophagus with an urn.
Stained glass mostly by H V Milner, but north aisle windows by Burtison and
Grylls. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the North Riding, 1979, pp 343-4.
Listing NGR: SE9300364553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings