This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1879 / 51°11'16"N
Longitude: 0.1412 / 0°8'28"E
OS Eastings: 549729
OS Northings: 145367
OS Grid: TQ497453
Mapcode National: GBR LMQ.DHR
Mapcode Global: VHHQ4.DDHP
Plus Code: 9F3254QR+5F
Entry Name: Former Smithy to Old Forge
Listing Date: 21 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 449045
Location: Chiddingstone, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8
Civil Parish: Chiddingstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Chiddingstone St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
5280 CHIDDINGSTONE Former Smithy to
Old Forge (formerly
known as Blue Boar
TQ 54 NW
Forge. South brick building of late C17 to earlier C18; north timber framed building
possibly earlier but with later alterations.
South building: red brick walls with timber framed north gable. Clay-plain tile
roof but with Horsham slabs below the ridge in east pitch. Brick plinth; some
stone quoins. West elevation with central doorway with brick-on-edge head to
ledged door with long smith's hinges. Boarded south gable with weathervane above
cambered brick head to pair of boarded vehicular doors. Rear elevation with small
square window opening with wooden boarded shutter. Interior: two bays stepped
and chamfered beam; roof with pegged rafters and butt purlins.
A timber framed and weatherboarded cross-wing links North and South wings; cross-wing
has pair of ledged doors; C19 roof with internal wooden ridge-piece.
North wing: timber framed and weatherboarded; clay plain tile roof; red brick stack
to forge. Main hipped roof on E-W axis with roof descending low to north over north
later outshut. West elevation: single light window to north outshut; three light
window and pair of ledged doors. Interior: east end of south wall retains frame
with brace, and fenestration; mortises in wall-plate. Framing in east wall of
original wing replaced partly by some English bond brickwork and later fenestration;
studwork removed from original north wall and renewed in west wall; clasped purlin
roof. Brick forge hearth and bellows retained.
The forge is an outbuilding to the house opposite, with date stone of 1745, now known
as Old Forge, and formerly known as Blue Boar Inn; the smithy marked as such on
early C20 O.S. map. North and south wings, without a link wing, and with south
wing on a different axis, shown on Henry Streatfields estate map of 1765 for Manor
Farm in Parish of Chiddingstone.
Listing NGR: TQ4970645348
Other nearby listed buildings