This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5737 / 51°34'25"N
Longitude: -0.3373 / 0°20'14"W
OS Eastings: 515320
OS Northings: 187397
OS Grid: TQ153873
Mapcode National: GBR 63.HMF
Mapcode Global: VHGQH.3QJ0
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 15 May 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489679
Location: Harrow, London, HA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Harrow on the Hill
Built-Up Area: Harrow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Harrow-on-the-Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
1157/0/10044 CHURCH HILL
15-MAY-02 Church House
Vicarage. 1791, extensively altered 1870. Architect unknown. Red brick, tiled roof, Bath stone dressings and diapered brickwork to Gothic additions.
EXTERIOR: of two storeys. Earlier south-eastern part comprises a four bay front to Church Hill: arcaded ground floor with arched windows (2/2-pane sashes of a later date) set within blind arches; voussoirs of rubbed red brick rising from imposts of brick. First floor windows with gauged brick arches; cornice with projecting headers, parapet over. Southern return with single storey ground floor porch; two prominent projecting Gothic Revival brick chimneystacks, decorated with engaged stone colonnettes with ring moulding. Northern continuation overlooking entrance courtyard. Projecting porch on north side of earlier vicarage, with stone cills, lintels and transoms to narrow windows flanking moulded arched door surround; original four panel door with raised panels; overlight and windows glazed with ornamental glass. 1870 addition to right with pair of blind arches to ground floor, pair of two-light mullioned windows to first floor: twin gabled projections with two- or three light mullioned windows at first floor; arched opening at ground floor with moulded stone soffit, pair of mullioned windows over. West side wholly of the 1870 phase, in vernacular Gothic Revival. Brick relieving arches to ground floor windows, canted bay window with ornamental stone panels over mullioned windows and French windows, moulded string course at first floor level, paired stone mullioned windows to first floor, barge boarded gable ends, prominent chimneystacks.
INTERIOR: retains a number of features from each phase, including Georgian fireplaces in several rooms, an open well staircase with turned columnar newel posts and balusters from the 1870 phase. Former stable to north now adapted to office use: fittings have been transferred to the Headstone Manor Museum.
HISTORY: built in 1791 for the Rev. Walter Williams, Vicar of Harrow. It has been alleged that the Rev. Charles Dodson wrote part of 'Alice Through the Looking Glass' here (D. Walters, 'Harrow on the Hill' 1988).
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings