This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2484 / 51°14'54"N
Longitude: -0.7673 / 0°46'2"W
OS Eastings: 486130
OS Northings: 150638
OS Grid: SU861506
Mapcode National: GBR D9R.QSL
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.NW6B
Entry Name: 26 and 28, Grosvenor Road
Listing Date: 9 June 1982
Last Amended: 9 July 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137857
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: Manor Park
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
991/5/33 GROSVENOR ROAD
26 AND 28
(Formerly listed as:
Shop with accommodation above, late C19; brick and stucco, slate roofing.
Classically-styled shop with accommodation above occupying a prominent corner location at a crossroads. It has three storeys and a hipped slate roof, with eaves on coupled brackets; the corner is chamfered. The upper floor is in yellow brick with stucco features, including a second floor moulded band and architraves. The windows of the upper storeys are arranged two to each façade, and one on the corner face, with sashes in reveals. The ground floor is extensively stuccoed, with wide, cambered, full-length window openings, with patterned spandrels and rusticated pilasters. The doorway is on the north elevation. Above the lower storey are painted shop name signs to each elevation.
To the north on Grosvenor Road there is a three-storeyed extension of lower overall height; the shop front similar to the main building, but with plain upper storeys.
The building does not appear on the Ordnance Survey map of 1888, but is marked on the OS map of 1897; therefore, being constructed at some date between.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Nos. 26 and 28 Grosvenor Road (W), Aldershot is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Architecture: a handsome, classically-styled c1890 shop building.
* Intactness: a substantially intact late C19 facade with shop front and signage.
Other nearby listed buildings