This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0641 / 51°3'50"N
Longitude: -1.3198 / 1°19'11"W
OS Eastings: 447762
OS Northings: 129633
OS Grid: SU477296
Mapcode National: GBR 861.94J
Mapcode Global: FRA 8639.RN9
Entry Name: Memorial of the Plague
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144878
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Paul
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
UPPER HIGH STREET
Memorial of The Plague
SU 4729 NE 2/276 24.3.50.
1759, rebuilt 1821 on site of earlier memorial of plague 1666. Portland
stone obelisk with inscription on square rusticated base. The memorial
was erected by the Charitable Society of Natives - a society founded to
help the survivors of the Great Plague of 1666. Very good inscription.
Listing NGR: SU4773829627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings