This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7491 / 50°44'56"N
Longitude: -1.2743 / 1°16'27"W
OS Eastings: 451293
OS Northings: 94638
OS Grid: SZ512946
Mapcode National: GBR 89S.W3L
Mapcode Global: FRA 8763.KC0
Entry Name: The Cochrane Building at Osborne House
Listing Date: 24 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490014
Location: East Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO32
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: East Cowes
Built-Up Area: East Cowes
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Whippingham St Mildred
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ59SW WHIPPINGHAM ROAD
947/7/10018 Osborne estate
24-MAR-03 The Cochrane Building at Osborne House
Former lecture rooms at Royal Naval College, Osborne. !905 by Henry Nicholas Hawks of the Office of Works. Pebbledash brick with brick buttresses, applied timber-framing to the gables. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends and overhanging eaves with exposed rafter ends.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan with a linking wing to the main building [former stables].
Domestic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: Single storey. Asymmetrical elevations with projecting gable ends with bargeboards, applied timber-framing and battered brick buttresses. Similar, but smaller, gables over large multi-pane sash windows [boarded over] which break through the eaves. Doorways with canopies on curved braces. Over the ridge are two polygonal cupolas with small columns supporting lead-clad domes with finials.
INTERIOR: Series of lecture rooms with exposed roof truss braces and linking corridors.
NOTE: This building was built in 1905 as lecture rooms of the Royal Naval Hospital, which was established in 1903-4 in the converted 1859-60 stables at Osborne House. The Naval College was closed in 1921.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings