This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7492 / 50°44'57"N
Longitude: -1.2746 / 1°16'28"W
OS Eastings: 451273
OS Northings: 94653
OS Grid: SZ512946
Mapcode National: GBR 89S.W0Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 8763.C8R
Entry Name: Former Stables at Osborne House
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458711
Location: East Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO32
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: East Cowes
Built-Up Area: East Cowes
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Whippingham St Mildred
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
Former Stables at Osborne House
Former stables to Osborne House. 1859-60 by J C Mann, Clerk of Works, and H R H Prince Albert; converted to Naval College 1903-4. Rendered brick, state roof. Quadrangular on plan. Central 2 storey entrance pavilion, flanked by formerly one storey, 8 bay wings, heightened to 2 storeys in c1904 for Royal Naval College. Gabled central entrance pavilion has moulded and keyed round arch; 2 leaf plank doors, formerly with flush panelling, now glazed panels. Flanking narrow 2-light ground floor windows. String course at impost level. Similar but smaller windows to mezzanine. Large tripartite window to first floor; sashes with glazing bars. Flanking panels bearing Royal coat of arms with roundel inscribed '1860' in gable. Projecting eaves. Flanking wings have 2 large 3-light ground floor windows with wooden mullions and 4 upper floor windows, all c1904 with sashes. Ridge stack to left and right of pavilion, c 1904 skylights to wings. Rear includes projecting ground floor entrance and upper floor Venetian window. Single storey ranges at rear, the sides originally with small 2-light round-headed windows, mostly converted on north side to segmental headed windows and enlarged on south side, and enlarged on south side and at rear. Around the inside of the yard originally there was a glazed canopy.
INTERIOR: The main range has large rooms on either side of the central carriageway, the floors supported on thin iron posts, the upper rooms with sky-lights and iron-rod braced roof trusses. Two stairs with simple iron balustrades.
SOURCE: PRO Work 37/139 and 140; work 15/135; Royal Archives, Windsor, PPOSB 159.
Listing NGR: SZ5127394653
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings