This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8437 / 51°50'37"N
Longitude: -0.9246 / 0°55'28"W
OS Eastings: 474182
OS Northings: 216665
OS Grid: SP741166
Mapcode National: GBR C12.735
Mapcode Global: VHDTW.XXKJ
Entry Name: Princes Gate Lodge
Listing Date: 17 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490059
Location: Waddesdon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Waddesdon
Built-Up Area: Waddesdon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
341/0/10004 SILK STREET
17-APR-03 PRINCES GATE LODGE
Gate Lodge to Waddesdon Manor. c.1880-99 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, possibly by W. Taylor of Bierton. Red brick faced in tiny rubblestones with ashlar quoins at ground floor, tile hung and timber framed gables, and pitched tile roof with ridge tiles. Brick corbelled chimneys with terra cotta plaques. L-shaped lodge in Arts and Crafts style.
EXTERIOR: EAST elevation to Silk Street has advanced gable with 2-storey bay windows with 6-lights with overlights and stone cross mullions; tiny rubblestones between floors. Stone plaque with Rothschild badge to gable with decorative barge boards. Entrance porch to angle with small tile-hung gable to wall above. Recessed range with similar gable and deep corbelled ridge stack with terra cotta rosettes. This range culminates in a similarly detailed bay window with hipped roof to SOUTH elevation. To rear also facing south is single storey range with porch that has splat baluster railing on dwarf brick wall and small gable with applied framing in centre of pitched roof. To rear, 1-storey entrance porch with timber framing to gables. NORTH elevation with wide chimney breast with stone quoins to left and tall corbelled chimney stack, similarly detailed, above pediment. To right oriel window with stone apron and applied timber under gable with applied timber and decorative barge boards.
INTERIOR: includes chamfered wood fireplace to front room.
HISTORY: The Princes Gate Lodge, adjacent to Princes Gate, forms part of the entrance on the approach to Waddesdon Manor (built 1874-83 for Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild by H.A. Destailleur) from the village of Waddesdon, which was substantially rebuilt by Ferdinand de Rothschild in the late-C19.
Group value with the adjacent Princes Gate (q.v.) and Nos. 1 and 2 Silk Street (q.v.), as well as the other listed buildings in the village such as Nos. 93 and 94 High Street and the Five Arrows Hotel. This well-designed lodge forms an important component of the estate of the Grade I Waddesdon Manor (q.v.)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings