This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7147 / 54°42'52"N
Longitude: -3.5023 / 3°30'8"W
OS Eastings: 303319
OS Northings: 536555
OS Grid: NY033365
Mapcode National: GBR 3FZX.KP
Mapcode Global: WH5YB.5RJJ
Entry Name: 15, Bridge Street
Listing Date: 22 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096130
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490096
Location: Maryport, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA15
Civil Parish: Maryport
Built-Up Area: Maryport
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Maryport St Mary with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
887/0/10010 BRIDGE STREET
Rare surviving harbour cottage, late 18th century. Originally a single bay now extended into adjoining buildings, 2 storeys with attic and cellar, monopitch roof. Blocked render with dressed stone surrounds to original openings. Cumbrian slate roof laid to diminishing courses. To the north is a single-storey building, originally a store and workshop, now converted to residential use (including attic space which has 20th century roof lights on front and rear slopes). Rear roof of this extension wraps around original cottage over later addition. On the south side of the cottage is a two-storey building with a monopitch slated roof sloping down into New Crown Yard. The upper floor of this bay is now part of No 15 and the ground floor is part of No 16 Bridge Street.
Front elevation on to Bridge Street is of three bays; from left to right the first bay is single storey, the second 21/2 and the third two storeys. The right hand half of the central bay steps forward c. 0.5 metre. Tall rendered stack between bays 2 and 3. Monopitch roof to central bay pitches towards Bridge Street and has a coped parapet at the ridge. All the windows on front elevation (except for attic) are 4-paned vertical sliding sashes with horns. Single window to left hand bay; door and window to ground floor of central bay with similar window above on first floor, attic window is a small single paned casement; right hand bay has a 4-paned vertical sliding sash window on the ground floor with a square window of same design on the first floor. Entrance from Bridge Street has panelled door; its position marks the line of the internal stone stairs. Has group value with No 16 Bridge Street and the already listed Naval Club.
J.D. Marshall and M. Davies-Shiel, Industrial Archaeology of the Lake Counties, 1977.
E. Hughes, North Country Life in the Eighteenth Century, Vol II: Cumberland and Westmorland 1700-1830, 1965.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings