History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1, New Crown Yard

A Grade II Listed Building in Maryport, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7145 / 54°42'52"N

Longitude: -3.5021 / 3°30'7"W

OS Eastings: 303328

OS Northings: 536539

OS Grid: NY033365

Mapcode National: GBR 3FZX.LR

Mapcode Global: WH5YB.5RLM

Entry Name: 1, New Crown Yard

Listing Date: 22 April 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096126

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490092

Location: Maryport, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA15

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Maryport

Built-Up Area: Maryport

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Maryport St Mary with Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Maryport

Listing Text

MARYPORT

887/0/10007 NEW CROWN YARD
22-APR-03 South Quay
1

II

House. Formerly two dwellings, late 18th century with later alterations, adjoining 2 South Quay at right angles and entered from New Crown Yard. 2 and 3 South Quay were built in 1785 and this structure was erected shortly afterwards.
Bridge Street elevation has no doors. Rendered cobble and rubble sandstone walls. Cumbrian blue slate roof laid to diminishing courses. 3 storeys, 4 bays. Elevation is symmetrical with the central bays having 12-paned sashes to ground floor and similar on the first floor (although the right hand window has been enlarged). Second floor has small mock sashes under eaves. Each outer bay has a 6-pane (3 over 3) sash to the ground floor. The majority of the sashes of original appearance without lack horns.
Yard elevation has 20th century rooflights. On the ground floor there is a 6-panelled door to the right and to the left are two 12-paned, vertically sliding, sashes of different sizes and a small 4-paned sash. The first floor also has two 12-paned sashes of different sizes and the second floor has 2 small mock sashes under the eaves. A further 12-paned sash window on the extreme left sits between the ground and first floor. Yard elevation retains original (working) gas lamp attached to wall. Has group value with the Naval Club, Nos. 15 and 16 Bridge Street and the properties on South Quay.

Sources
J.D. Marshall and M. Davies-Shiel Industrial Archaeology of the Lake Counties, 1977.
E. Hughes North Country Life in the Eighteenth Century, Vol II, Cumberland and Westmorland 1700-1830, 1965.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.