This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7146 / 54°42'52"N
Longitude: -3.502 / 3°30'7"W
OS Eastings: 303337
OS Northings: 536543
OS Grid: NY033365
Mapcode National: GBR 3FZX.MR
Mapcode Global: WH5YB.5RNL
Entry Name: 2 and 3, South Quay
Listing Date: 22 April 2003
Last Amended: 1 May 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490190
Location: Maryport, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA15
Civil Parish: Maryport
Built-Up Area: Maryport
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Maryport St Mary with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
887/0/10008 SOUTH QUAY
22-APR-03 2 AND 3
Multifunctional harbour building of 1785, now with restaurant to ground floor and residential accommodation above. Possibly built for William Blennerhassett. Render over cobble and sandstone rubble walls with drafted sandstone corner pillasters and sandstone surrounds to openings (all painted). Cumbrian slate roof laid to diminishing courses with kneelers to stone coped verges. Brick chimney stacks to apex of each gable. Originally 3 bays with fourth bay to right (north) added in 19th century, over access to rear yard (New Crown Yard).
Low stone parapet to eaves supported on cyma-moulded sandstone cornice. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The nineteenth-century bay to the north has a segmental arched carriage entry allowing access to the rear yard. Each floor above this arch has a small 12-paned, vertically sliding, sash window (6 over 6). Each original bay has an inscribed lintel over the doorway; two of these are on the front elevation WB No 3 1785 to the right hand door and WB No 4 to the left. The original door to the third bay is in the gable on Bridge Street, the lintel is incised WB No.5. To left of archway is the 6-panelled door with WB No.3 1785 on the lintel and to the left of this is a large 12-paned, vertically sliding, sash window (6 over 6). The windows on the two floors above these are the small 12 paned sashes matching those over the archway. To the left again is WB No.4 which is a mirror of No.3 except that warehouse doors have been inserted above the ground floor entrance. The same pattern of windows occurs again on the front elevation for WB No.5. None of the sash windows to the front elevation have horns. Area railings with three gates but only two sets of sandstone steps to cellars on the front elevation. Simple ironwork, pointed square railings set diagonally, arrowhead detail to principal elements all set on a low, chamfered, stone plinth.
Bridge Street elevation has the original door (WB No.5) now blocked to form a window, 12 paned sash (6 over 6) with horns, first floor has similar window immediately above. Inserted doorway with 6 panelled door to left of original entrance. The second floor window is over the new door opening and has the same details as the other windows except the sashes are not horned.
Rear elevation is cement rendered. There is a small lean-to shed at the ground floor adjacent to the yard entry. To the right is a 12 paned sash (6 over 6) and then a modern double door. First floor has 3 sash windows matching those on the front elevation (although one now has horns); second floor has similar fenestration except for extreme right which is again a 12 paned sash (6 over 6 without horns) but only half the size of the others. This may have been altered when the adjacent property (No 1 New Crown Yard) was built.
Substantial beams internally.
Believed to have been built for William Blennerhassett, former Lord of the Manor of Flimby who exported coal from the quay in the 18th century. Has group value with No 1 New Crown Yard, 6, 7 and 8 South Quay and the Naval Club.
J.D. Marshall and M. Davies-Shiel Industrial Archaeology of the Lake Counties, 1977.
E. Hughes North Country Life in the Eighteenth Century Vol II
Cumberland and Westmorland 1700-1830, 1965.
C. Roy Hudlestone and R.S. Boumphrey Cumberland Families and Heraldry, 1978
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings