History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drinking Fountain in Highgate Wood

A Grade II Listed Building in Muswell Hill, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5841 / 51°35'2"N

Longitude: -0.1489 / 0°8'55"W

OS Eastings: 528349

OS Northings: 188870

OS Grid: TQ283888

Mapcode National: GBR DS.WP4

Mapcode Global: VHGQL.CGN0

Entry Name: Drinking Fountain in Highgate Wood

Listing Date: 3 March 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490114

Location: Haringey, London, N10

County: London

District: Haringey

Electoral Ward/Division: Muswell Hill

Built-Up Area: Haringey

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Muswell Hill

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
East Finchley

Listing Text


800/0/10086 MUSWELL HILL ROAD
03-MAR-03 Drinking Fountain in Highgate Wood

II

Public drinking fountain in Highgate Woods. 1888. Pink Peterhead granite obelisk with chamfered angles, over a broad basin, carried on a square plinth standing on an octagonal base; the lower elements are of grey granite. Within the plinth is a narrow dog trough. The west side of the obelisk sports a bronze plaque with the inscription 'The Gift of a few Friends. Erected 1888'. Below, on the same side, is a second plaque bearing an inscription from Coleridge: "Drink, Pilgrim, here! Here rest! And if thy heart / Be innocent, here too shalt thou refresh / Thy spirit, listening to some gentle sound / Or passing gale or hum of murmering bees!"
HISTORY: a picturesquely sited example of a public drinking fountain, erected shortly after the opening of Highgate Woods as a public open space in 1886. Coleridge had strong connections with Highgate, living there from 1816 until his death in 1834; there he was buried as well.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.