History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6109 / 52°36'39"N

Longitude: 1.7272 / 1°43'37"E

OS Eastings: 652431

OS Northings: 307982

OS Grid: TG524079

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.CGV

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.HMPS

Entry Name: Vicarage

Listing Date: 27 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096809

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468447

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Central and Northgate

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Great Yarmouth

Listing Text


839-1/12/18 (East side)
27/06/53 No.24


Vicarage, converted to offices. Early C17 rear wing, facade
dated 1718, extended 1781. Restored 1983 by and for the Paul
Robinson Partnership (architects). Flint and brick rear wing,
red brick facade. Roofs of black-glazed pantiles.
EXTERIOR: main 1718 front of 3 storeys, 8-window range, in 8
bays. Door of 1983 in 5th bay (from left) with an overlight
and a floating shell hood of 1718 set on scrolled brackets.
Sash windows are C19 unhorned replacements with 9/9 glazing
bars set within flush frames under gauged skewback arches.
Attic sashes have 3/3 glazing bars. The left 3 bays are
covered by a late C19 single-storey bay window extension
fitted with 9/9 and 6/6 sashes under gauged skewback arches;
balustraded parapet. Platbands between the floors of the main
elevation. Low parapet rebuilt after bomb damage 1942 has a
plaque recording construction in 1718 by the Corporation and
repair by Wm. Fisher, Mayor, in 1781. Gabled roof. South gable
formerly shaped, but rebuilt to east slope. To left of
elevation is a 2-storey extension probably of 1781.
Full-height canted bay window rebuilt after 1942: sash windows
have arched glazing bars and multiple panes. Modillion and
dentil eaves cornice. Red pantiles to roof, which is hipped to
the north. North return with one replaced tripartite sash each
floor. Rear C17 wing of 2 storeys. South side with a rendered
ground floor and a C20 casement inserted after outshut removed
late C20. Two 6/6 horned sashes to first floor. Gabled roof.
North front with a full-height late C19 outshut fitted with
6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: the C17 wing to rear has 3 bridging beams with
sunk-quadrant mouldings and tongue stops. Remains of a fire
canopy at east end. Roof of this part retains 2 pairs of early
C17 upper crucks and 2 tiers of butt purlins. Late C19 front
extension enlarges an existing room fitted with late C19
large-framed panelling in C18 style matching the C18 panelling
in the ante-room immediately south. The south room to the
facade has mid C18 large-framed panelling, a dado rail and a
shouldered and eared overmantel. An early C18 closed-string
staircase with turned balusters and a moulded handrail rises
to the first floor. An early C19 staircase with turned
balusters continues to second floor. Roof of front block of
simple rafter and purlin type (original blown off by bomb in

Listing NGR: TG5243107982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.