History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warehouse to Rear of No 60

A Grade II Listed Building in Richmond, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.4031 / 54°24'11"N

Longitude: -1.7356 / 1°44'8"W

OS Eastings: 417262

OS Northings: 500879

OS Grid: NZ172008

Mapcode National: GBR JKBJ.1D

Mapcode Global: WHC6D.9LSC

Entry Name: Warehouse to Rear of No 60

Listing Date: 25 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096881

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439828

Location: Richmond, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Richmond

Built-Up Area: Richmond

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Richmond with Holy Trinity with Hudswell

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

NZ 1700 NW (east side)
Warehouse to rear of No 60
Probably a fellmonger's workshop or warehouse, now a disused warehouse. Probably late
C17, with some C19 alterations. Probably for Samuel Sutton, fellmonger. Rubble,
corrugate sheet roof. 2 storeys and loft, 3 roof bays internally. South elevation
has, on ground floor, 6-pane window, small C20 window and C19 doorway partly-blocked
to form window. First floor has central C19 loading bay with leaved panelled doors,
and a 6-pane window; below the loading bay are visible the ends of 2 timbers used to
plate an internal beam; above the loading bay, but about 1 metre below the eaves, are
visible the ends of 2 cross-beams forming part of the roof trusses, which may once
have projected out to form a gantry. Chimney stack to left end, from a flue inserted
in the adjoining building. Rear: ground-floor doorway within adjoining wall partially
masking building; in centre of first floor a blocked single-light window with chamfered
dressed-stone surround. Left return: ground-floor doorway; 8-pane window in gable.
Right return: blocked ground-floor opening; large first-floor window opening.
Interior: first floor supported on 3 C17 timber beams, the central one plated at its
southern end: brick-lined circular feature in north-west corner of first floor, pos-
sibly a circular stairwell, 2 upper cruck roof trusses with collars, the tie beams reused
and turned. No 60 Market Place was owned in the early C18 by Samuel Sutton, a prominent
member of Richmond's Fellmongers' Guild, who is known to have practised his craft
1693-1733. The warehouse is a rare surviving example of an early non-domestic building
within the burgage plot of its original frontage house, encased within a Georgian

Listing NGR: NZ1726200879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.